Ophiura, help please!

rackyrane

I am very concerned. I swore I would research everything before buying, but my little one begged and pleaded for me to get a starfish while we were in the LFS. I bought a sand sifting star for him (in my tank of course) and now that I have been reading on here, I am concerned that he will starve to death. I REALLY don't want that to happen. If he is doomed to die, I will try and take him back to the store.
I have a 110g tank with about a 2-3" sand bed overall. About 60# of LR (another 20# curing and ready to go in the tank probably this weekend, plans to buy more next week).
What do you think? Should I send this guy back? He seems pretty happy, digging in the sand, cruising around. He is plump and full.
Thanks!

michaeltx

I am not an expert but IMO it would be better to take him back even in an established tank it will decemate the micro fauna in the sand bed.
IMO
Mike

rackyrane

Thanks, Mike. This is what I have been thinking, just wanted to get some advice before I sent him back. He is such a cool little guy. I just love to sit and watch him when he's cruising around.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
I am not an expert but IMO it would be better to take him back even in an established tank it will decemate the micro fauna in the sand bed.
IMO
Mike
I agree. Also, sand sifting stars get very large. Your tank could not support him. He will destroy your shallow sand bed and then starve to death. Please take him back. Once your system is stable and running for at least 8 months to a year you can consider a different type of star.

sepulatian

yeah its unfortunate that they harm the sand bed rather than help it,
mike
They are beneficial in a very large tank with a DSB.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Ophiura
The tank is definitely too young.
IMO, the tank is not large enough, and the star is likely to die within a year. It is also CONSUMING the beneficial creatures in the sand bed.
I would strongly discourage keeping one in any tank.
this was her responce to one in the 75 gallon tank.
Mike

sepulatian

this was her responce to one in the 75 gallon tank.
Mike
That is what I have heard as well (probably from our Ophiura, she is so great!) They do ok in large system, but most home aquariums just can't support them. They consume so much that they just strip the entire sand bed. They won't eat prepared foods.

rackyrane

Thanks guys. Back to the LFS he goes. Sure will miss the little guy, but I'd rather he lived (my sand bed too!).