opinions: moving tank

tank watch

I would like to move my 180gal. It is not a necessary move. I would like to build a new wall, creating a small room behind the tank for supplies and maintenance. The tank will move only 10 or 12 feet within the same room.
Would you do it? Is it worth the risk of upsetting a healthy system. I am thinking of using baby pools for the rock, coral, and fish, with powerheads and a heater for the fish. I think the fish may only be in the small pool for a day or two while the tank settles in. I think I can move the tank with the sand and minimal water undisturbed.
I am also curious about pitfalls and dangers others may be aware of.
Please post any tips or warnings you have.
Thanks, Matt

S

summerdaze

I just moved my 125 into a new tank, all I did was use all the water from the 125 and switched from cc to sand and everything is perfectly fine. I did all of this within a hours time. hope this makes you feel a little better!

ukcats

I have a 125 RR tank. I have all of my filtration in an unfinished part of my basement and have it all plumbed through the wall. And let me tell you how nice it is. If I spill some water...its ok because the sump is on concrete. I never have to worry about a noisy pump. The cold floor keeps my tanks MH lights from heating up the tank. My fuge is larger than I could fit under the tank. If I have a sump overflow..big deal! I have a wet sink RIGHT NEXT to the sump. Very conveinent let me tell you. The only time I actually need to access my tank itself is to feed the fish. I love it!!! So my vote is to move the tank. It may suck now but in the long run you will sooo thank yourself. Good Luck!

reefermon

i just moved my 150 into another room i also switched from cc to sand. No problems i kept all the water. i did lose anything

use dgs

my cousin just moved his tank from house to house. Although he doesnt have corals, which i would be worried about moving, the fish and the rocks were fine. You may lose some algeas growing on your rocks though. also, save as much water that is in the tank now. I dont want to move my tank, but i do want a new stand. I should have spent the extra $$$ and bought that nice oak stand instead of pine!