opinon on filtration

jimbo63

Hi, I want some of your opinons on Marineland's compact hang on canister filters. I am thinking about adding on some more filtration to my 33g tank.

T

tizzo

I am not a fan of canister filters at all...
To me, it's like this...
If you dump a crap load of flake food into your tank, then scoop up as much as you can with a net, then you leave it in your tanks water to rot... That's what a canister does. It simply corrals the crap and food, it doesn't remove it from the tank, it simply holds it til it rots away...

rdub62

i really like refugiums...the macro HELPS keep NO's in check, the skimmer helps with phosphates, she socks help with debris, the sponge helps keep bristle worms and other such things that grew in my refugium from getting up into my tank etc...

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Rdub62
http:///forum/post/3091462
i really like refugiums...the macro HELPS keep NO's in check, the skimmer helps with phosphates, she socks help with debris, the sponge helps keep bristle worms and other such things that grew in my refugium from getting up into my tank etc...

Totally off topic but...
I wonder if I know you. I moved here last year from Charlotte...

rdub62

you don't know me.
and it's not really off topic i was just saying that i don't like canisters and i prefer refugiums.

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/3091497
you don't know me.
and it's not really off topic i was just saying that i don't like canisters and i prefer refugiums.
No no no... I meant MY comment was way off topic, lol.
Me saying I wonder if I know you has nothing to do with this post...

rdub62

Oh my apologies.
But you are younger than my parents age, older than me, my sisters are younger. And there are probably well over 1.8 million people in Charlotte this year...not sure why you would think you would know me in particular...

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/3091517
Oh my apologies.
But you are younger than my parents age, older than me, my sisters are younger. And there are probably well over 1.8 million people in Charlotte this year...not sure why you would think you would know me in particular...

Haha, RASOC... I'm still a member. If your not there, then I definitely don't know you...

d-man

imho there are a few things you can use to compare all filters flow, filtration medium and mechanical are the main things I look at the real question is what are you trying to filter for?

flower

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3091449
I am not a fan of canister filters at all...
To me, it's like this...
If you dump a crap load of flake food into your tank, then scoop up as much as you can with a net, then you leave it in your tanks water to rot... That's what a canister does. It simply corrals the crap and food, it doesn't remove it from the tank, it simply holds it til it rots away...

Sorry but I have used canister filters for 30 years without a single problem. 4 years saltwater and still no issues, it takes less space and it doesn't require drilling any holes. I rinse the media in saltwater to keep th good bacteria...your version of a canister filter would be the same no matter the filter...if you have a filter pad, the water flows through, solids get trapped and the same water returns to the tank. So it isn't sitting in a there to rot, that "rot" as you call it is what breaks down the solids in a normal cycle...all filters do that.
my canister filter also has a nice flowbar so the surface is moved without using a power head, so my power heads can be used to create a nice current where it is more needed.

ophiura

It is a question of why you are adding "more filtration" to your tank.
If you need circulation...no
If you need mechanical filtration...maybe
If you need biological filtration...no
If you are trying to consolidate other hang on filters...maybe
If you are trying to solve a nitrate issue...no
If you aren't really good and faithful in cleaning out your existing filters, then a cannister, IMO, will not help you.
They certainly can work, but I, personally, need to understand more about your question in order to answer.
Marineland makes good products, but whether it is the right place to invest your money...

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3092738

Sorry but I have used canister filters for 30 years without a single problem. 4 years saltwater and still no issues, it takes less space and it doesn't require drilling any holes. I rinse the media in saltwater to keep th good bacteria...your version of a canister filter would be the same no matter the filter...if you have a filter pad, the water flows through, solids get trapped and the same water returns to the tank. So it isn't sitting in a there to rot, that "rot" as you call it is what breaks down the solids in a normal cycle...all filters do that.
my canister filter also has a nice flowbar so the surface is moved without using a power head, so my power heads can be used to create a nice current where it is more needed.
I don't think they are a "bad" addition to the tank, I think they are a useless one.
Your right in that all filters do that... all canister filters. A protein skimmer removes what it removes from the water column all together, and a sock gets changed out...or SHOULD get changed out at least every 2 days.
You say yourself that the solids get trapped and it breaks down in a normal cycle. Do you remember what the very first part of the cycle is??
It does go through it's cycle, but ammonia is ammonia for at least 3 days before the trites start. You beneficial bacteria is in place to neutralize it asap, but it's still there. For example, when a fish pees, it's ammonia entering the water. The bacteria handles it as quickly as possible, but for 3 days, that little drop is still ammonia.
I do not think they will "hurt" your tank. But I don't think they help either.
As Ophi points out, it is a mechanical filter. And if your diligent in cleaning out the pads, then it won't hurt. But why not let the food fall all the way to the bottum and let the hermits take care of it.