Orange Linckia Starfish

jden092901

I have read about these..says that there really easy going starfish...great for a fish only tank and for reefs...they help keep the glass clean and rocks..ect. Says they get about 3 inchs..do you think one would be ok in my 10 gal? Sorry so many questions today...
Thanks AGAIN...
josh

E

essop3

No. They require large (>125g) tanks that are mature (>1year).
They don't eat algae or ditrus. It's not really clear what they eat. You need about 100# of live rock to provide them with an enviroment they can thrive in.

puffer32

Linka stars need lots of established rock to survive. I would not get one for a 10 gal tank, it just would not survive, sorry.

ophiura

Yup, I agree. THe information source you are referencing is wrong :( Very misleading I am afraid.

scotty37

I bought one off of here with the info provided on here... which was not honest enough for me at all. my 54 gallon didnt keep this thing alive long at all.

ophiura

There are several factors to consider:
1) Many places simply, honestly, just don't know any better. Most stores I see selling such Linckia have about the same amount of information, sad to say.
2) Stores are out to sell animals, not discourage their keeping (in this respect, I give SWF some kudos for providing a forum for feedback). However I always keep this in mind when selecting animals - their advice, by definition really, is not necessarily objective.
3) These animals are very delicate shippers, and many (perhaps most) are doomed the moment they are collected as they are unable in many cases to adapt to synthetic salt mixes.
4) "success" is relative. Many people believe these animals are short lived, so keeping them 6 months to a year is considered normal and hence they are easy to keep.

E

essop3

Originally Posted by ophiura
4) "success" is relative. Many people believe these animals are short lived, so keeping them 6 months to a year is considered normal and hence they are easy to keep.

What is the natural lifespan? I kept one about 2 years until it fell into a carpet anenome and never recovered.

ophiura

It is open to scientific debate as to whether seastars ever die of "old age." So definitely many many many years.