Ordered a CROCEA :)

monsinour

It is very pretty. Just how hard are these kinds of clams to care for? I have quite a few "cleaner" clams in my tank that, while nice, just arnt as pretty. Are these things filter feeders as well? They need really nice lights? What is the story?

meowzer

Most need really good lighting.....the Derasa can get away with T5's...I have one in the 29G
Maxima and crocea need high lighting
3" and above are supposed to be easier, and not need to be fed....that is why I got this one bigger. They need a high level of calcium (400+) or so....
I'm no expert...LOL....I had a teeny maxima once...didn't last 2 weeks :( I still want a Maxima, but I will not buy one under 3" next time

monsinour

them things are spensive. like really spensive for just sitting there filtering out water. LOL Still, extremly pretty. I think my wife wants a clam.

meowzer

Some are more expensive then others,. sometimes SWF.com has the Derasa's on sale...I got mine here last year
you just have to shop around...it's really easyto find smaller ones. but when the time comes and you start looking...look for the 3" ...they have a better survival rate (so I hear)