ordering corals online?

ron72

I have a 3 month old 90 gal tank and I would like to start adding a few corals. I have four 95w VHO lights. Thinking about ordering some through this site. Want to keep it simple to start with. Any recommendations? How about a good reference book on corals (how to care for, feeding etc.)?
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Ron, glad to see you join our community here.
Aquarium Corals is considered one of the best coral books. It is written by Eric Borneman. Lots of info and pictures.
Also, for a quick reference and lots of pictures as well, you may want to get Julian Sprungs, Corals, A Quick Reference Guide.
Both good books!
Do you know what type of corals you are interested in? Soft corals, Long polyp stonies?
My first coral was a toadstool, and I still have him.

fishking

i would say the first coral should be shrooms, cause if they die u no sumthing is seriously wrong with ur tank, because those are the hardiest and easiest corals to keep

B

big911dog

Welcome! I would suggest mushrooms to start also. Xenia is pretty forgiving also.

dragonboy

Mushroom and Zoo's are the easy ones to start with. In fact I seen some who gets nothing but mushroom and zoo's, which looks pretty nice as well. But once you start with the easy ones eventually you want a little more difficult stuff.

robchuck

Zoanthids and Green Star Polyps are also great starter corals. They are very hardy and multiply quickly.
Another book suggestion is Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation". It's a fun read, though it's focus is on large-scale mariculture operations (which is interesting reading on it's own merit), but Calfo also does a great job explaining corals in everyday language and the book also even has a great section on equipment.

ron72

Thanks everyone, Another question. I have a Rena XP2 and a XP3 for filtration and a protein skimmer. They seem to keep the water pretty well stirred up, but are they enough flow for starting some corals. If not, how large of a powerhead do I need?

B

big911dog

you want about 15x water turnover per hour, so with a 100 gallon tank, you would want at least 1500 gallons per hour. that includes all PH's, ur main pump, etc.

ron72

I bought the Rena canister filters used along with my tank so I do not know what their flow capacity is. I take it from your reply that I should find out the flow capacity of my two canisters and the protein skimmer, subtract that from 1350, and get a powerhead of at least that capacity. Do I then just point it in the general direction of the corals? Is this flow for the purpose of getting food to them? I have read where some need moderate flow and others high flow.

sirgunther

Circulation in the tank along with water cycling will provide most of your food along with nutrients that are not food related, the more flow you have the better, it will constantly help keep your chemicals more evenly mixed in the tank... I.E calcium, magnesium, yada yada... i have a 55 gallon and i use about 1000gph turnover rate, it seems a little crazy at the top of the tank, but i have great circulation.

ron72

I found out that the Rena XP3 has a 350 gph flow rate and the XP2 has a 300 gph flow rate. That means that I need about 700 to a 1000 gph more. Is it best to put in one large power head or a couple smaller ones at different locations? This site sells Rio power heads. Is that a good brand?

sirgunther

Personal preference i guess.. i have heard good and bad about rio... ionno.. And if yo go with several smaller ones then you can control the aim and direction of the flow easier.. Again, i think it would come down to personal preference..

gatorcsm

With regards to first corals. There is something to be said for going 'easy' with mushrooms, zoanthids, and xenia, however, a difficult problem can be what to do with them once you decide to move on to acros or some other type of coral.
Alhough many people have mixed tanks, many also move towards only hard, or only soft. If you want only one type, it is best to start with one of that type. An easier one, such as montipora or euphyllia might be a good on (if you think you'd rather go with hard corals).
Just something to think about, especially with xenia and green star polyps. They go everywhere and never want to leave.

B

big911dog

Gator makes a good point about the Xenia. It will get to weed magnitude (by then you'll need to learn how to frag).
I like the MaxiJet PH's. They are quiet and don't use much power.