Ordering fish online

augie

I'm looking to purchase a yellow & purple tang. Can you give me some input on how you feel about buying fish online.

royal gang

don't to that unless you want a dead yellow tang, other than that make sure you don't have spyware, and youll do ok

hatessushi

IMO it's better to buy online. The reason I say that is that I have had better luck with online purchases. The fish I have ordered have seemed more healthy then the ones bought locally. I would have to say that if you buy them local then they are being moved again. They were shipped to the LFS and then removed from their tank and you take it home. It seems to me that you can leave out the middle man and just have it shipped to you and eliminate the middleman especially if you don't know how well they get acclimated. Of course some will say to buy it locally of you can to help support your LFS, well, it depends on who the LFS is.
I just had a fish die today that I bought locally. The last one I bought locally I had to keep in QT longer because he got sick. The ones I bought online were totally healthy with no problems all the way to DT.

hatessushi

Yes, I have order from SWF.com and everything I bought is still alive and flourishing. I bought inverts, and fish as well as a refractometer that is on sale...woot!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by augie
I'm looking to purchase a yellow & purple tang. Can you give me some input on how you feel about buying fish online.
If you are buying for your 75gal, skip the Purple Tang. They need more room. The Purple would kill a Yellow in that size tank as well...
Buying online is great... you get healthier fish.

buhda_72

I just bought a bunch of crabs and anemones from here and they where so healthy they are the best I have bought from anywhere :happyfish

bill109

what about te thought of them being in a box i assume in a bag and the box being tossed around and the fish being tossed around the in the water creating stress.... am i wrong i would like to try to order online but i dont know if it is worth it as well

bill109

So it's not a good idea to get a purple tang.Iwas really looking forward to getting them both.
ok well purple tangs are bossy little buggers... my lfs has one fish in his 75 reef and let me tell you he swims around like he owns the tank and everything in it.!
so a purple and other fish in tht tank would prolly be a problem

hatessushi

The fish are well packed. When the shipper see the words "Live Fish" in big letters on the side of the box they usually but not always handle with care but yes they get jostled around and stuff but fish get that in the ocean also and probably more so. The fish will obviously be stressed from shipping but will recover if acclimated correctly. I had no problems with any fish I ordered online so far. Some fish won't take shipping well but most will. Inverts mostly ship well also IMO. The packaging from this site is supurb and I find it difficult to throw the packing out cause it's still usable so I have a stack of cardboard and styrofoam boxes.

1journeyman

So it's not a good idea to get a purple tang.Iwas really looking forward to getting them both.
It's genrally believed that most Tangs need a tank at least 6 feet long to swim in.
Fish are shipped from the collectors to your pet store. By buying online you are just cutting out one or more handlers. Delivery is the same.

fish1031

You just missed great deals on Yellows and Purples
I got a Yellow coming, missed the purple
Now their both sold out
the yellow was 1.99
and purple was 39.99

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fish1031
You just missed great deals on Yellows and Purples
I got a Yellow coming, missed the purple
Now their both sold out
the yellow was 1.99
and purple was 39.99
Not a great deal if the fish die in your tank.... but yes this site often runs great deals!

bill109

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
The fish are well packed. When the shipper see the words "Live Fish" in big letters on the side of the box they usually but not always handle with care but yes they get jostled around and stuff but fish get that in the ocean also and probably more so. The fish will obviously be stressed from shipping but will recover if acclimated correctly. I had no problems with any fish I ordered online so far. Some fish won't take shipping well but most will. Inverts mostly ship well also IMO. The packaging from this site is supurb and I find it difficult to throw the packing out cause it's still usable so I have a stack of cardboard and styrofoam boxes.
so do you have to qt when you get them shipped i know you should do the qting to them all but does it seem like it is a need like 100 percent needing to be qt'd

1journeyman

Originally Posted by bill109
so do you have to qt when you get them shipped i know you should do the qting to them all but does it seem like it is a need like 100 percent needing to be qt'd
Yes, yes, yes...

hatessushi

You should QT any fish before you put it in your DT. Usually 2 to 4 weeks to see if there are any parasites or such. If you don't currently have any fish at all in your DT you could add the first ones you get directly to the DT since there are no other fish to possibly infect in case it has something.

fish1031

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Not a great deal if the fish die in your tank.... but yes this site often runs great deals!
True... but 15 day guarantee