OT: Chicago.....what LFS do you go to?

cotton0627

I was just wondering what stores the people in the chicagoland area shop at. I thought maybe this would help people find trusted fish stores that they never knew existed and see if some of us shop at the same place.
IMO Old Towne Aquariums on Wells St. seems to have the most knowlegde and best quality fish, but can be pricy.
Scott's Petshop in Westchester is a cheap source of equipt and common fish.
I just found a store by Midway called Barrier Reef Aquariums. I got 16lbs of LR for and the guy gave me a deal on a maxi-jet PH. I don't know what quailty the fish are there...but I plan on donating my lion to them so I can set up a less aggressive tank (he killed my 4 ocellaris clowns).

emp23

hey, I go to barrier reef all the time. You must get there fish there, they are all in perfect condition, and the ones that are sick they put them in quarentines. The guys there are extremely nice and very helpful. He came over to our house to set up, drill and everything for my 240 gallon tank. He'll only sell a fish if he'd do good in your tank. Also, if you keep going to him he gives discounts! For a large passer angelfish, it was normally 120, but he made it 100 for us. You must go there, they are the best.

diceman

I also go to Barrier Reef. The owners name is Mike. Really knows what he is talking about and will not sell you something you don't need. His fish are very healthy and net caught. He's been involved with fish ever since he was a little kid. His prices are fair at best but like the post above will give you discounts if you are a regular. Nice to go to a place where he's in the business to help you instead of just take your money.

cotton0627

I'm not sure the exact address, but it's on the corner of Archer and Lockwood. There is a stoplight at the intersection, and it's on the north side of Archer with a Nowak Realty sign on the side of the building. I was there today, and I donated my 3" volitan lion...the guy was extremely nice and helpful.<a href="http://members.aol.com/cotton62799" target="_blank">My Tank</a>

pancho

I go to a shop in maywood called by land and by sea it's a small shop the lady who owns it is real knowledgeble and so is her husband. Her parents ownd a shop when she was a little girl and still does. Her and her husband are hobbyest as well and for the prices of the fish it's the cheapest i'v seen in chicagoland. For example i got an juv emporer for 55 bucks when everyone else wanted 125.00 bucks for one.

sterling007

I go to Living Seas in Park Ridge, huge selection of fish, I think priced ok. Live rock/live sand is expensive. Another place I went to today in Schaumburg, Advanced Aquatics, not the biggest inventory of fish, but his prices on live rock and live sand I don't think can be beat. The owner is Glen, he was very helpful to me and answered alot of questions. Another place is Exotic Aquatics in Lake in the Hills and Beyond the Reef in Schaumburg. I'd like to check out Barrier Reef, but that's really far for me.

I tried to go to Barrier Reef on Archer Yesterday. I made a special trip to go there and when I got there the sign on the door said open at 11:00am. Well at 11:20am they were still closed. I hate makeing a trip to a store and they cant even on at the the proper time. A big waist of my time!!!

goofyreefer

Living Sea is nice to look at but overpriced. Advanced Aquatics is my favorite right now. not a big place but he has ricordia from time to time :) Exotic aquatics I went to last week and it's not bad but again on the pricey side. They had some huge puffers there. I don't care for Beyond the Reef. The owner seems a little too grumpy for me and the store stinks from cigarette smoke. That just personally annoys me.