OT--Dremel Tool Choice?

benihuma

I've been wanting a Dremel for a long time now, you know, to do little things that need doing. Which one do you have/recommend? My big choice is between the corded/cordless. I know the corded has a lot more power, but is that extra power worth the dangling cord? Thanks.
Ben

richard rendos

I hate cordless tools. The batteries don't last long enough to get any work done, and the power is lacking. I would say go with the corded.

s/g5588

I like my blacker & decker. It has a cord which is alright the power is alot better than the cordless. It also has a flexable attchment for the bits so you dont have to hold on to the motor unit and is eaiser to use. Hope this helps.

reeferx

Originally posted by Richard Rendos
I hate cordless tools. The batteries don't last long enough to get any work done, and the power is lacking. I would say go with the corded.

I second that one! I just had to throw out a Makita with a dead battery. The battery cost more to replace than buying a new drill!
Other than that, sorry I don't know much about dremels but will be watching this post to learn.

broomer5

I received a Dremel kit as a gift.
It's a great thing to have - when you're working on most any project that requires some "fine" tuning or fitting.
But - It's the only cordless tool I own :(
I've never needed to use it anywhere an extension cord could not have reached.
Unless you're doing remote MacGyver-esque crafts - get the cord !

gregzbobo

Cord, most definitely. The one I have is also variable speed from 0-35,000 RPM, the cordless units only have perhaps 3 or 4 speeds if that.

jodeman

I own both, the deal is, how do you plan on using it? If you're planning on using it a bunch for long periods of time (like doing a bunch of gringing on metal) go CORD. For short periods of use go CORDLESS. I build and repair model airplanes (lots of balsa, foam, and plastic) and I love my cordless, and it's smaller. Also with corded you can get some neat attachments.

killyah

Dremel tool Rocks!! i have been using mine for 5 years now in all my DIY's ,great tool.. i would go with the corded one! i have other battery operated tools and all i can say is they cost $$$$ in the long run due to the short life of the battery.. so i stay away from cordless ... the only tools i buy now are all corded. JMO

majakarot

as a builder i can tell you that dewalt/milwaukee and makita all make great cordless tools, however, for the dremel i prefer the Dremel brand original corded, it has a much higher RPM than the cordless, but it costs about $20.00 more (oddly enough the cordless is smaller and lighter)

witecap4u

Go corded, I have had a cordless for about 5years, and have hated it the whole time. Today, I was at Home Depot, and picked up a black and decker corded for 25$ on their christmas sale, couldnt beat the price.
cs

benihuma

Yeah, I'm gonna get the corded one. The uses I have in mind for the little monster include:
-aid in constructing a new canopy
-aid in constructing a new sump
-modifying my HPI Super Nitro Rally -- car
-anything else within an extension cord's reach
Ben

hairtrigger

Go with the actual Dremel brand. I have the corded one. It is much better, more power, no batteries to wear down as you apply pressure. The thing is amazing. I have sawed through my canopy, screwed in lights, sawed through bulkheads, you name it. Get the one with all the attatchments too. It's not much more. Man, I LOVE MY DREMEL. :D

hairtrigger

PS-- nitro car... no problem for a dremel. I use mine on my -- plane and helicopter all the time. Great field tool. Yes, we have outlets at the field. :cool:

witecap4u

-- cars get alot of dremel time here. I put a .21 on my T-Maxx before all the nice kits were available, so I had to cut the chassis plate, and alot of screws, standoffs and such. The chassis alone took about 4 recharges on the cordless:( If you are going to be doing a lot of metal cutting, I would recomend getting the fiber reinforced cutoff wheel. The are like mini versions of a cutoff wheels for an angle grinder. I bought a package of three, about 5 years ago, and just finished up the last one a couple weeks ago.
Have fun.
cs