OT: HS Graduation

j21kickster

Hey guys,
Just letting you know that i graduate this saturday, no more BS highschool- Going to major in Biology- then go to the coast- (dont know where) and do marine biology- i would like to do field research or something that keeps me doing different things- but anyway just thought id share!

grouperhead

Look into the University of South Alabama. http://www.southalabama.edu/ They have one of the best Marine Biology programs in the nation at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab. I've been to the Sea Lab before, and it is awesome. I believe Ophiura also spent some time at USA, so you could try emailing her as well. Good luck with your future. Bo

fellow

please research the field of marine biology before you jump in for two years and figure out you dont want to do it. I majored in microbiology for 3 years before switching my diploma to marketing...go figure.
congrats.

j21kickster

thanks-
marine bio is 100%, wanted to do it all my life- i cant see myself in any other job that dosent relate with the ocean- :)

fellow

I wish I would have had a tape recorder with me at my graduation.
I don't know about anyone else, but college changed the direction of my life and most of the people I know. I can't explain to you why its so hard to stay focused, but beer and pot might have something to do with it.
Thats great that you have a passion for the ocean.

leigh

Congrats!
(ps if the ocean is the way you want to go...please at least give Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering a looksy...we get to do cool stuff and play with cool toys too :) --we can always use more people doing anything from designing the spill proof oil tanker to engineering ecologically improved coastlines)

jarvis

Congrats on graduating high school. Now your got to go out there in the real world. ah to be young again........the days of high school were so fun. All I really had to worry about was getting good grades and petty part time job and not getting caught for the things that you werent supposed to be doing.
I remember hanging out with friend, going to parties, strange fashion trends, horible taste in music, silly drunk girls, cheerleaders, sneaking out late at night, practical jokes and getting even . I would give anything to go back to those days. Im getting old:( . Its funny when at the time all you wanted to do was grow up and when you get there you just want to go back. :cool:

cboyfan2020

Originally posted by j21kickster
thanks-
marine bio is 100%, wanted to do it all my life- i cant see myself in any other job that dosent relate with the ocean- :)

Thats funny.....I wanted to be that too. Maybe its being landlocked in the middle of the US that makes us Kansans strive for the ocean..lol. I got kicked out of HS 2 weeks into senior year and had to finish my diploma elswhere. Worst mistake in my life but hindsight is 20/20 right? Anyways, always wanted to be a cop too althoigh from all the mayhem I have been involved in you couldnt tell but I changed my life around and will hopefully be accepted into the academy when this hiring freeze is over....damn politicans and their overspending:mad: Also going back to college to double major in Criminal Justice and Zoology(cross fingers) or Marine biology. I always wanted to work with marine mammals such as whales and dolphins. Good luck in anything you do and enjoy walking accross that stage. From somebody who lost the chance to do it..... it is special not only for you but for everyone around you.:D

fulcrum

Congratulations!
I think bigology is a great field to study. Keep your mind open to all the opportunities that exist. It's a broad field, and the career possbilities are endless.
I wanted to be an architect from the time I was 5 until 18. When I got to college I realized engineering was what I really loved. I ended up making a 9 year run of engineering college and grad school, and loved every minute of it.
I still think about architecture...and who knows...when I win the lottery maybe I'll go back and get that degree too!!!
Have a great time in college, and study smart..not hard!

Well, I'm long past high school but I have a daughter who is graduating college on Saturday. The world has another good nurse! I think she is still planning to return in the fall for the masters program.

buzz

Congratulations! (Man...I didn't realize you were in high school...)
My 10 year reunion was supposed to be in 2000. My class hit the ground running after graduation and didn't look back. There wasn't enough positive response on attending a reunion to put one together, so none for me...but I didn't really want to fly from CA to NY for it anyway.:D

cboyfan2020

LOLOLOL......Used to work at MCI....sounds familiar except mine usually started with some cussing! I had about 200 unexcused abscenses on every report card from sophmore year. AHH , the rewards of a mispent youth.

j21kickster

Thanks guys for the support-
It seems that everyone here had or has a misconception about my age- im 17- dont turn 18 till sept 5th- but regardless, who said kids are stupid?-(ok, ok we are but we all have our moments in the sun)- i just seem to have more than others:D

j21kickster

Also i just got my Human anatomy final back- 98%:) , it was a final for the entire year- not just semester, we walked into class and on the board it said; "Write everything you learned this year!" :eek: so i wrote for the whole 90 minutes- and out of the 11 body systems we studied i only got through 1 1/2 of them - i wrote 6 pages on the muscular system- With no BS included- and another 2 on the endocrine system - it was killer:mad:
my hand has never hurt that bad- i've taken notes all class- but geez, this was insane- its kind of funny but i was the only guy in a class os 15, not that i minded;) but it was a drama party- some were happy with the final- some cried adn one wasted half the time trying to convince him that it was not fair:D

j21kickster

Thanks for the encourging words
- Mary J? Thats weird- i know a girl with the same name- we hang out on the weekends but she never seems to get in the way- and hasent ever for that matter- and we go way back-
I guess i know when to draw the line- for example a few people who meet with her several times daily- i have too much to look foward to in the futurte to let trivial things like that get in my way:)