OT: Rodeo

Being that we're all animal lovers here, and I went to see the Rodeo the other day.... what does everyone think of PETA's claims that the ROdeo is inhumane to the animals? I'm just curious, the last two times I was there, I saw animals get hurt, but they claim that only one half percent of one percent of animals actually get hurt.

ryebread

I love the Rodeo! I have actually riden a bull on two occasions..........probably not again.
Is one half percent of one percent the same amount as one half percent of one hundred percent?
How is the saltwater set-up coming along? I know that you got some stuff for Christmas but, I wasn't sure if you had your tank up yet. Good luck with it. :)

aggie05

I personally think that PETA is full oh sh!t. Personally, living in Houston I cannot remember a year that I haven't attended the Rodeo at least once. I was there last Friday and didn't see any PETA people, thank god. I do realize that some animals have the potential to get hurt, but I personally have never witnessed an animal show signs of injury. And honestly, with the millions of dollars that the Rodeo raises for the youth of Texas, I have no problem if a cow or 8 for that matter were sacrificed because of it. PETA needs to realize that there are some things in life that ARE more important than an animals life. I promise you that not one member of PETA would give their life for an animal.
Perhaps there are animals that get hurt, but its no big deal, there is a BBQ cookoff in the parking lot.:eek: :D

I went to see Kenny Chesney a week or so ago and saw a horse fall and twist it's leg pretty bad. My only thought was, "Oh my God, horses's legs shouldn't go like that!" :eek: :( The horse was ok and so was the calf I saw a couple of years back get its neck strained in the calf-roping competition. Despite what PETA says though, I believe hunting is ok as long as it is humane (the animal dies quickly and as close to painlessly as possible) and it is not done purely for sport (i.e., it should be done for food or something of the like). Just killing an animal to brag about it or put its head on your wall, I believe, is wrong. And so is what Michael Jackson did, but we all already knew he was weird. I myself do not hunt because I don't have the guts for it (why I could never be a vet :( ). I fish sometimes too, but I don't particularly like fish as it is anyway (as food at least), and I always release them back into the water.
Rye, I had to turn my to-be sw setup into a home for my Oscar, since he reached six inches in my twenty and ate 6 of my fish :( Someday, though.... :D

S

simm

Originally posted by Jillian Ayers
calf I saw a couple of years back get its neck strained in the calf-roping competition

I grew up rodeoing. Bull rode for 3 years. Steer Wresteled, team roped and calf roped. The neck on a calf is so darn flexible its ublievable. 99.999% of the time it does not hurt them.

imo

PETA sucks! Some things that they fight for are right and just but on the whole they are not. If they could have their way, you would not be able to have a saltwater tank because the fish are not in their normal habbitat and puting them in a 55 galon tank would be cruel and inhuman punishment compared to the ocean. For instance the NCAA just decided to use synthetic basketballs instead of one made of cow hide. PETA took responsibilty/credit for this decicion. I would just like to see what PETA has to say about all the extra pollution that caused to the environment due to the petroleum processing to make the synthetic material. Just a thought.

robchuck

I used to work on a bull riding tour, and let me just say, the bulls used there are treated like kings. They are only allowed to be ridden once per night and get on a truck to go straight back to the local ranch they are being kept at for the tour stop. On another note, PETA is nothing compared to a much more radical group called Animal Liberation Front (ALF). There was an instance in the Chicago area recently where they cut the brake lines to every delivery truck for a seafood distributor, reasoning that the distributor took lobsters out of the ocean for the last 20 some odd years. I read an interview in the newspaper afterwards with the leader of the group, and he mentioned that ALF would use any means they deemed necessary to get their message heard.