OT: The Best Public Aquarium?

zippy

Where have you guys and gals found the best public aquariums? I have been to the Ripley's Aquarium at Myrtle Beach, SC several times. Not bad at all, but where else is good?

ty_05_f

The only public aquariums I have been to that I remember was the national, and the one at the Oklahoma city zoo. It's sad but the one at the zoo was better.

cincyreefer

I really liked the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and I hear that there is an aquarium in Chattanoga, TN that is suppose to be spectacular but I havn't had a chance to go yet.

finland

I have been to the Aquarium of America, in New Orleans, and The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I really liked both of them

doodle1800

I've been to the Florida Aquarium, the New England Aquarium in Boston, and the one in North Carolna - Kure beach I think. All were nice - but the Shedd is the best.

lovethesea

Shedd's IMO is in a class by itself due to the dolphin etc exhibit.
Florida's (Tampa) is awesome and Chattanoga is close behind that. I think anywhere that tries to put something together that teaches us the oceans and rivers are great.

azonic

I wasn't really impressed with the florida aquarium.
I think it was because when I was there this past June, they were renovating a lot of their exhibits so I missed a few things I would of liked to see. :(

lovethesea

I know what you mean, we go every summer when we are in the beach area. My kids love it. Lots of changes (good ones) and so much construction in the general area. They are making way for cruise ship traffic in the harbor. They have some great exhibits.
The seahorse displays are fantastic.

aarone

I went to the vancouver aquarium and it sucked :( bad reef exhibit. The only cool thing was the beluga whales. The Dallas world aquarium is pretty cool.
aaron

S

slofish

Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Calif. Monterey is in northen calif near San Franciso. Really nice. Its HUGE too!! Went the long beach aquarium a while back...eh, not that great.

jpawson

The national aquarium in Baltimore has a pretty cool reef setup. I am sure there are better ones though.

shanev

I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Calif. not too long ago and it gets my vote! THe place is huge and has a lot of different things. It has a million gallon aquarium with schooling large tuna!

beaslbob

Originally posted by cincyreefer
I really liked the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and I hear that there is an aquarium in Chattanoga, TN that is suppose to be spectacular but I havn't had a chance to go yet.

the chattanoga Aquarium is spectacular and the worlds largest freshwater aquarium. They only have very limited (and small) salt displays primarily sea hourses.

fishtanker

Originally posted by wablondie98664
never been here, but this would be my dream vacation:D Atlantis at paradise island bahamas. they have the largest marine habitat exibits in the world. http://www.atlantis.com/index_flash.html

went there for my honeymoon last FEB. its by far the best aquarium i've been too. its like walking thru one huge fishtank. reccommend anyone who gets a chance to go there. i'm planning another trip next year..i hope ;)

tru conch

i have been to a few:
the florida aquarium in tampa
the key west public aquarium
the national aquarium in dc
the baltimore aquarium
my fav would be the baltimore aquarium. you start at the ground level and sprial you way up to the top, then you take the inside sprial down the center which is the shark/larger pelegic fish exhibit
the key west aquarium is cool because it is so old, its all open air. not very big but still really neat.
i have not made it to the monteray bay aquarium, but its on mylist of things to do.

jedininja

Another Vote for Monterey Bay Aquarium. I was acutally just there last week. I think it is supposed to be the biggest aquarium in the world. They have so much stuff and some amazing specimens and really cool things. They only problem is that it is mostly local stuff, so we dont see too many coral reefs. or at least not the tropical kind since its cold water in CA. They do have a small exibit for for reefs and clown fishes and stuff, but not as much.

mrmaroon

I have been to Shedd, Baltimore, and Chattanooga. I like Shedd the best. Baltimore's has a tank that surrounds a staircase that is pretty cool though too.

1journeyman

Originally posted by aarone
I went to the vancouver aquarium and it sucked :( bad reef exhibit. The only cool thing was the beluga whales. The Dallas world aquarium is pretty cool.
aaron

The problem with the Dallas World Aquarium is that they run the exhibits with the "If it dies we can replace it" attitude. I haven't had any dealings with them in a couple of years, so they could have changed, but I doubt it. I'll never step foot in there. The Dallas Aquarium in Fair Park is a part of the Dallas zoo, and isn't much to look at, but they do a great job behind the scenes in breeding endangered species. All in all, Texas is really hurting in the zoo/aquarium department
Texas State Aquarium is ok, considering they have no freakin budget, but I definitely vote for the Sydney Aquarium as my favorite!

black99l

i missed the opportunity to go to the shedd last time i was is chicago. i truthfully have not been to very many (vegas, sea world, and may one or two others). i would have to place a vote for sea world orlando.