OT:Windows XP PRO

shep

I just went to it yesterday and other than the mario bro's look it seems cool. Also found some nifty cracks for the DSL and Cable people to get some more speed. Checkout www.DSLreports.com and www.speedguide.net . Both of these will help you tweek a few more k/sec out of your system. End result, you see fish faster...:D

shep

everything I have seen there is OS mod only stuff...I was win 2k before but since I got xp pro for free in a magical way, I had to try it.

robn70

Finished rolling it out world wide at work. We skipped win 2000 and went from NT 4 to xp and replaced all desktops and laptops with new pentium 4's with flat screens. Slill working on getting a freebe for home.

eric4usa

My friend cracked his Motorola cable modem.
He got full access through the head end DS-3 and speeds over 20Mbps.
The crack basically stopped his modem from responding to SNMP traps and that's how they CAUGHT him.
He's banned from AT&T broadband for life.
He got hooked back up using his wife's name, but no more cracks.
Be carefull with those, don't modify any firmware.
Anything you change in your windows registry is fine.

attml

If you right click on your start button and go to properties you can change the appearance to Classic Windows style and get rid of the Mario Bros look.

broncofish

I was running linux for ever, but then switched to XP pro cause I could not get Ghost Recon to run right on the linux platform....needless to say for a Microsoft system XP pro is pretty nice, certainly not the 2000, and 98' that I had grown to hate. Now I need to get a C++ compiler for XP tough, thats going to run a bit If I pay for it:rolleyes:

mauldus

broncofish, did you try winex? I've successfully gotten it to run warcraft3, Diablo2 LOD and many others on my desktop.
I agree DvSKiN. If you have to run one, 2000 is it. I however, have been windows free for about 2 years now and I'll never go back. I just tried to set a friend of mine up with aim on win2k. Installed it, ran it and it crashed. We can't uninstall it now. I personally reinstalled his machine a year ago. It just pisses me off.
I'm urging him to get a mac. That's the only TRUE user friently OS out there.

salty jeff

I run a G4 with OS X. Since the new G5s are coming out the prices on the G4s are coming down. I suggest to go with a G4, DSL & a Apple LCD flat screen. Its all you will ever need!

aarone

yeah windows XP i love constant crashes and unstability! Try Linux out or even the underrated macintosh.
edit. And shep BTW: THATS HIGLY ILLEGAL. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON MUSIC AND SOFTWARE COMPANIES HAVE PROBLEMS WITH NAPSTER AND KAZAA

cyslyde

sigh be careful on trading software, i don't condone it, but i do agree that a lot of it, especially microsoft products are too expensive... i prolly got a few LEGAL extra copys of XP arround the office someplace, i'll look for it tomorrow if i get time, but yeah XP is good, I got everything from dos 3 to 2000 Advanced Server running on my machines at home (I go to ITT and have connections to legal versions), One of my school buds just got an advanced bata of longhorn the other day, it' doesn't look good guys. from the sounds of it it will take too much freedom away.
glad you like XP Shep, just be carefull even some software hacks can leave you in a compromising position... ALWAYS
run a good firewall zonelabs has a decent free one.
btw if my signiture would work it says "Forget the window, give your computer a TUX!"

aarone

good one man. Yeah i hear that long horn and palladium are going to take away alot of freedoms. not sure on all the specs of Longhorn, but i wont be purchasing it