Ouch

Just got my AMEX bill for the month - this does not include the $350 i spent on day 1 to get the tank package (tank, stand, filter, heater, thermometer, hydrometer, substrate) - how did i spend $700 since then? - 40 lbs live aragonite, 25 lbs fiji rock, protein skimmer, powerhead, various foods, test kits, python siphon, livestock, quarantine tank...OUCH!
i can't believe i dropped a grand on this hobby in a month - all because i thought it would be a nice birthday gift for my wife, who loves clownfish, to get her a small saltwater tank...
someone apply a tourniquet to my checkbook - it's hemorrhaging!
no money left to put fishies in the tanks! :D

D

daniel411

When I got into saltwater, a friend said he could probally help me get it all set up for about 400. Oh than, I was shown... well this is a bit better, a 90 is better than a 55, so on.. and so on... on my, I think I spent about 1200 that first month. Than a good 100 from each paycheck for months on end after that.

col

You wanna try living over here in England. EVERYTHING costs more.
£££££££

I have been studiously ignoring how much I have spent. The more I think about it, the more money I realize I've been spending over the last 3 months.
So I don't. :)

D

daniel411

I've learned to live by this: pay for all sw related stuff with cash, and never ever look back at the receipts!

tlk

Originally posted by Daniel411
I've learned to live by this: pay for all sw related stuff with cash, and never ever look back at the receipts!

I shred the receipts so the wife doesn't see :D

beaslbob

Originally posted by JerseySaltwater
Just got my AMEX bill for the month - this does not include the $350 i spent on day 1 to get the tank package (tank, stand, filter, heater, thermometer, hydrometer, substrate) - how did i spend $700 since then? - 40 lbs live aragonite, 25 lbs fiji rock, protein skimmer, powerhead, various foods, test kits, python siphon, livestock, quarantine tank...OUCH!
i can't believe i dropped a grand on this hobby in a month - all because i thought it would be a nice birthday gift for my wife, who loves clownfish, to get her a small saltwater tank...
someone apply a tourniquet to my checkbook - it's hemorrhaging!
no money left to put fishies in the tanks! :D

What will really P*** you off is how much of that was not necessary. Gee do you have your $300+ for light yet. Anyway you could email me with your list and I'll send back alternatives :D beaslbob@aol.com

oregonbud

i would advise you have bob send you a picture of his tank before following his "path" to cheapness
LMAO - normally I stay out of these threads when they go astray but kip that was just too funny to pass up.
Yep no doubt about it this hobby is not cheap, but neither is anything else in life :) although I have to admit I live by the cash rule myself when it comes to the tank, it kills me sometimes to find a receipt, I would feel really guilty if it was on the credit card statement, all laid out.

in my short time as a citizen here, i have quickly learned to take all opinions with a grain of Instant Ocean :) (some with the whole 15 pound bag :D ) The only other near-term dry-goods expense i see now is upgrading from my pice of junk visijet skimmer to a remora or bak-pak - the visijet releases too many micro air bubbles at the bottom of the cylinder, and that is with the powerhead at it's lowest setting. Since i'm still "fishless", sometimes i crank the venturi wide open to pull up some foam, but once i have livestock, it's just being used as a powerhead with a lower outlet - between that and my maxijet 900 at the top, plus my powerfilter outlet, i get great circulation. If I can keep this tank stable for a year, i can broach the subject with the wife about going for a 100 plus aquart aquarium :D

reef fool

Double Ditto and a bigger OUCH! Kip
I honestly don't keep track so that when the wife asks "How much did all of this cost?" I can say, "I don't really know, Hon" and not be lying to her!:D
It only works the first time though. Eventually she's gonna say " Well, how much was this and how much was that?":eek:
I can say it must be in the several thousands, 13 months later:eek:

kelldog4

I've spent less than $400.00 so far - but my tank is kind of puny looking for a 60gal.
1 damsel
2 percs
<30lbs live rock
I can't brink myself to spend more yet - I want to stay married:D
Where do you guys get all of that extra cash - I'm even more amazed when I take a look at that "Other Hobbies" Thread
I wish I was hemorrhaging cash like that.:eek:

cb

We tyr to add something new every payday if we can this is a hobby of patience Right???:D :D

buy the good stuff to start with and you wont have to face the frustration of having to buy the same part for the second time.
I also try to space the big $$$ things out.

mondavi

My main tank setup has cost me about 4,700 in about 6 months. So you can feel a little better now.