Our 55G FOWLR

kmoze2001

Thought you might enjoy.
Stock:
3x Teardrop Ocellaris (Named Fred, Wilma, and Betty)
1 Firefish (Freckles)
1 Fire Shrimp (Mary)
'bout 20 assorted hermits
3x Emerald's (The big one is Hoover, 'cause he never stops eating.)
1 Strawberry Clam (That never comes out, named Max)
5 Algae Vacuums (aka Snails)
(oh, and some kind of little tiny hitchhiking coral??)

meowzer

HEY SHARKBAIT!!!!! Yes...they are emerald crabs and I have many :)
As for the OP....You pics are great, How about a full tank shot

kmoze2001

Thanks, here's a full tank shot, with a bonus of the lighting setup I was using for the shots. Yes, I have two expensive hobbies, sadly.

kmoze2001

Like 7 weeks now. Never really did get a cycle, after 5 weeks we went with a CUC, 2 Damsels and the Firefish. One of the Damsels tried to kill the other, so we quarantined him, then the other turned vicious when he healed up so he got pulled and both of the demons went back to the LFS, and the trio of Clowns came in.
Next plan is for another Firefish, then who knows. Eventually wanna go reef (well, semi-reef, equal emphasis on fish and corals) but don't have the lighting for it now. Seeded some copepods last week in the hopes of having a Mandarin some day.
Another full tank shot is coming, the Mrs. didn't like what I put up.

meowzer

I like the rock work....when you do go reef....YES...you will need better lighting...lol...but seems to me you already now that
maybe want to add a little more rock too :)

kmoze2001

Thanks, probably will add some rock, but I am not a fan of the tanks I've seen that look like they've got more rock than water so won't go crazy.

meowzer

Originally Posted by kmoze2001
http:///forum/post/3221626
Thanks, probably will add some rock, but I am not a fan of the tanks I've seen that look like they've got more rock than water so won't go crazy.
YEAH....I know what you mean....I like some "beach"

kmoze2001

Here are some updated images.

The yellow tang in the second picture (yes, I know it's borderline for our 55G, will give us an excuse to upgrade to the 300G I have my eyes set on) is completely addicted to getting cleaned by the blood shrimp in the first. He's always hanging out asking to be cleaned LOL.

browniebuck

make sure that you feed that tang a variety of different foods...he looks a little skinny. I feed mine my own homemade food (shrimp, scallops, oysters, mussels, cod loin, green and purple algae, and Garlic Extreme), soak some purple and green algae sheets in Garlic Extreme, and occasionally give mysis or an angel/butterfly mix. I have read that if you don't provide tangs with a varied diet they can get different diseases.
I have 2 blood red fire shrimp as well...I love them. I have a total of 6 shrimp in my 125 and all of my fish make their trips to the cleaners!

noah's nemo

Great pics
I agree with brownie your tang needs to fatten up.Also try shredded zucchini,spinach,and brussel sprouts,Mine loves em all.

kmoze2001

Unfortunately, after about 26 hours looking healthy in the tank, the yellow tang went t-ts up. He was eating well, frozen, flake, and algae, and looked perfectly fine up until the point that he didn't. In retrospect (does one day count as "retrospective"?) his absolute addiction to getting cleaned (it seemed it's all he was interested in, besides food) might have indicated a problem.
I just now hope that whatever the problem was doesn't spread. The good news is that everyone else seems fine and normal, and preliminary water tests don't indicate a problem.

kmoze2001

We concluded that the tangs fate was sealed before we ever bought him, nothing up with the water or anything else. We've acquired another who looked healthier and fatter and he seems to be doing fine.
Here are some updated photos:

Coco the Coco Worm

And Sunny the Yellow Tang
Also got another blood shrimp, and the two seem to be pairing up nicely, though wasn't able to get a good shot. Since we now have two bloods, I hope we don't have any crips in the tank.

kmoze2001

Oh, and we actually witnessed our big emerald molting earlier today, he's in hiding now hardening up. He was already pretty big, a bit of a monster now lol.

ryancw01

Originally Posted by kmoze2001
http:///forum/post/3232813
Since we now have two bloods, I hope we don't have any crips in the tank.
Hilarious.
On a serious note though, keep a close eye on that yellow tang. You just had one die in there so he could have been carrying something like ich that is now in your tank. You have to overfeed tangs in the first couple weeks because they could all the sudden stop eating and go on strike. Just make sure you are using a seaweed clip and algae sheets probably about every other day. Tangs eat all day in the ocean so this is how you keep him healthy.

kmoze2001

Thanks, Ryan, yeah we're watching him. He's grazing throughout the day on algae, both provided by us as well as growing, mostly on the sand.
Broke out the studio lighting for some new pics.

Wideview

This is Fred and Wilma. They appear to be competing to see who's going to be alpha-male to the female, Betty. They wouldn't cooperate to get all three in one shot.

Sunny

Say Aaahhh!

Fred and Wilma again

Looking for algae to eat
Enjoy!