our corals!!

nm reef

Nice selection of corals....165 watts of what kind of lighting? In your 60 gal display they may do fine...how long has your tank been established and what does the water chemistry test like?

fastmarc

Originally posted by mbrands
NM reef - I thought plate corals required a lot more light? Is that wrong?

It's not ideal, but it is never too late to ask questions.
Idealy it would be better to do a little reseach on the coral etc. you want to get, before purchasing them.
Sites like this have loads of knowlegable people that would be happy to advise you.

melissa1

NM,
my bf buys all the lights for the tank! we have a 130 watt 50/50 light and than a 40 watt marine glo light . Which is better marine glo or power glo? the tank has been up for a month or so as a saltwater tank any way it was a brackish tank in a past life!! :D
as for the isn;t it late in the game to ask a bout lighting i 100% believe it is never to late to ask questions!!!

As for the comment about the plate coral we have done a lot of reading in EVERYTHING we put in our tank before we add it and every where we read it says the plate need moderate lighting.
All of our coral look good, we also have a rose bulb anemone

mbrands

melissa,
Your plate coral looks great! I was just asking because I'm researching what kind of lights I will need for the corals I'd like to keep. :D

mrmaroon

I would up your watts per gallon. I am running 240 watts on a 55g. How long have you had your plate. Very few people have success with them. Better to leave them in the ocean.

melissa1

we have had the plate coral for a week or so. as far as the lighting for him goes we have him at the bottom of the tank in a little less lighting, he is doing great!!

pyro

Anenomes normally require a lot more lighting (MH)... at least I beleive, no first hand expirience with them.
It looks like your candy coral is in the sandbed. Is it actually "planted" in the sandbed, or is it just me? I've been looking for a way to attach mine, and this could work very well.
Sorry for digging up an old thread, just wondering.