Our Puffer "Puffed" today!!!

poniegirl

Originally Posted by LisaLGK
This is Sid, our puffer. He "puffed" today, for the FIRST
time
!!!! (Our big fish, Pearl, scared him. She's a Pink Tail Trigger, and she's cranky when she's hungry.)

Note: I know it's not healthy for it to "puff", it was just shocking!! We were in Jamaica last year, and we found one puffed up, at night. It was just fun to remember our trip....
Now I'm going to be hesitant, to post again.
(I think I'll even have a good cry.)
I had a similar experience the other night, Lisa. I dangled a juicy piece of silverside to LURE my other fish into the tentacles of a stinging monster.
I did have a good cry, but thankfully, several folks on this site had the sense to realize I would never intentionally harm a single scale.
Thank you for sharing. I know I learned from your post! (And it is a good photo)

my way

I disagree about a Puffer Puffing being so stressfull. Yes it can be stressful but not everytime IMO. I had a porky that would do it about every 2 weeks for absolutely no reason at all. No other fish needed to be near him, no rapid movements to scare it in the room either. He would swim to the left front corner of the tank and puff up for anywhere between 15 to 30 secondsand then just go about his business.

engine10ff

Well, if we are here to share opinions then here's mine. The bashing of Lisa by Emporer and Diane is moronic to say the least. I believe this forum is here to educate and share knowledge of this hobby, not to flame someone enuff to make them not post again.
I believe if you have knowledge to share, share it. I think Lisa shared a cool pic, I didn't know that it was bad for them to puff but then again I don't own one. She is getting bashed for taking a picture of a 'natural' thing that occurred in an unnatural setting correct?
We are all keeping ocean dwelling creatures in a glass box, I'm sure they are all stressed a certain degree whether aquacultured or not. Kudos Lisa for sharing your pic, hopefully you won't let these two discourage you from posting more.

jonny bolt

It has begun! The All Knowing-Bleeding Hearts have struck again!!! They just can't resist preaching!
Cool pics. Nice Puffah

squirrel

Originally Posted by My Way
I disagree about a Puffer Puffing being so stressfull. Yes it can be stressful but not everytime IMO. I had a porky that would do it about every 2 weeks for absolutely no reason at all. No other fish needed to be near him, no rapid movements to scare it in the room either. He would swim to the left front corner of the tank and puff up for anywhere between 15 to 30 secondsand then just go about his business.
I don't post here much but just reading this it sounds like a few people are going a little overboard with this pic. I have to also agree with My Way...I heard that they also puff to stretch not just b/c of stress. Just what I heard though

Brandi

emperor11

Originally Posted by engine10ff
Well, if we are here to share opinions then here's mine. The bashing of Lisa by Emporer and Diane is moronic to say the least. I believe this forum is here to educate and share knowledge of this hobby, not to flame someone enuff to make them not post again.
I believe if you have knowledge to share, share it. I think Lisa shared a cool pic, I didn't know that it was bad for them to puff but then again I don't own one. She is getting bashed for taking a picture of a 'natural' thing that occurred in an unnatural setting correct?
We are all keeping ocean dwelling creatures in a glass box, I'm sure they are all stressed a certain degree whether aquacultured or not. Kudos Lisa for sharing your pic, hopefully you won't let these two discourage you from posting more.

I don't consider what I did "bashing." I was simply trying to get across to her, that it wasn't good for a puffer to puff up. And its a good thing I said something, because it appears very few knew that. Lisa, I apologize if you were offended by what I said. I was simply trying to educate you, and many others that this is not a good thing that he puffed up. And, as I said before, while he was puffing up, and already stressed, he saw a flash from the camera, which was probably more stressful yet. I was not "bashing" you because you took the picture, I was just trying to get across that that is really not a good thing that happened. Engine, you are correct that we all keep our animals in a glass box. That's why there are such a thing as recommended tank sizes. I would never keep an animal in a tank, that he would not feel comfortable in. IMO, a porcupine puffer doesn't belong in a 125 gallon, but thats just my opinion. Not trying to ruffle any feathers!

PS-Lisa, please do not be hesitant to post here. I did not mean to come across as rude, though it appears I did, and I apologize. SWF.com is a great place to come and ask questions, and learn. I hope I did not discourage you from coming here.

hook

Originally Posted by engine10ff
...She is getting bashed for taking a picture of a 'natural' thing that occurred in an unnatural setting correct?
We are all keeping ocean dwelling creatures in a glass box...
nice picture! every website has people who flame just cause they are so perfect and all that junk. whatever! it's not like she did it on purpose, flamers! did you read the post?

emperor11

Originally Posted by Hook
nice picture! every website has people who flame just cause they are so perfect and all that junk. whatever! it's not like she did it on purpose, flamers! did you read the post?
I know I was percieved as one of the "flamers." I was honestly not trying to flame, I was trying to educate, though I now realize I did it a bit too harshly. I do not think I am perfect. In fact, I'm far from it. I did read her post, and I now see that she edited it, from what it was before. She now knows that its not good for a puffer to puff up, and now we can get over it. So, lets just DROP THIS.

D

davidmwj

Originally Posted by Emperor11
I know I was percieved as one of the "flamers." I was honestly not trying to flame, I was trying to educate, though I now realize I did it a bit too harshly. I do not think I am perfect. In fact, I'm far from it. I did read her post, and I now see that she edited it, from what it was before. She now knows that its not good for a puffer to puff up, and now we can get over it. So, lets just DROP THIS.

Just to help you out, it was those "eye-rolling" smilies. What you said wasn't rude, but those smilies made your whole first post seem very rude. I think that's all it was.
I reread what you said and ignored the smileys and it's a whole different paragraph. ;-)

emperor11

Originally Posted by davidmwj
Just to help you out, it was those "eye-rolling" smilies. What you said wasn't rude, but those smilies made your whole first post seem very rude. I think that's all it was.
I reread what you said and ignored the smileys and it's a whole different paragraph. ;-)
Thanks, I was going over all my posts, trying to figure out what I said that sounded rude, and I thought nothing of those smileys. Thanks for pointing that out to me..it makes sense now. I went back and deleted those smileys.

ophiura

In the first post, the poster said that she KNOWS this is not healthy, and does not in any way appear to be finding amusement in this at all.
I don't think anyone intended to "lecture" and please note that those who always must accuse others of being "flamers" do no good either.
Thread closed.