over skimming?

dirk_brijs

read in some articles about over skimming but non of them said anything how tgo determine if over skimming is an issue or not.
- What are the things happening in your tank if over skimming is going on?
- what would be the effect to your corals like zoas and so on be if your over skimming?
- what are the benefits and negatives of skimming in general?
lot of questions I would like to find ansers to
thanks

reefkprz

pro and cons of skimming IMO are fairly straight forward.
Pro's:
removes hydrophobic protiens before they break down further into ammonia nitrite nitrate and phosphate waste.
reduces the influx of amino acids through nitrogenous waste breakdown.
removes other hydrophobic compounds that can contribute to water yellowing.
helps increase oxygen levels in tank,
decreases Co2 levels (helping maintain a higher PH)
increases offgassing of volatile ammonia
helps remove room dust particles that find their way into the tank
may help remove some toxic heavy metals in trace amounts
cons:
can reduce calcium levels (calcium is hydrophobic)
does not remove hydrophyllic protiens or wastes,
removes varying amounts of other trace elements, frome barely a trace amount of removal to a rather signifigant amount (eg calcium)
can remove planktonic foods during feeding
decent skimmers are expensive
ok as for over skimming, there just is not much chance of it having any serious impact that isnt easily remedied. whereas underfiltration and cleaning of our tanks can lead to untold headaches. all you will find on overskimming is anecdotal evidence, and hobbyests saying not to do it. you will find hundreds of those, they "believe" overskimming is bad. yes skimming removes some trace elements but if your keeping up on waterchanges in a proper manner that shouldnt be an issue. skimmers can remove planktonic foods, but thats ok since the capture rate of most planktonic foods in our tanks is about 1-2% the rest needs to be handled by our microfauna and filtration. the availabilityof planktonic foods are great for supporting the bio-diversity of our sand and rock but most simply dies and breaksdown in system (aka becomes pollution). its very simple to add more food so i consider it a good thing to remove the excess.
thats opretty much my take on it.

bluetang66

I agree with the above, I don't think many of us myself included have the ability to over skim our tanks, but I've always felt better about mine when I clean the green grudge out of the skimmer cup. My opinion is that we have to be better off without this in our tanks.

reeflooker

Don't feel that you are obligated to skim. There are many reefers that don't skim at all. It boils down to your bio load and how much you feed. If you have a light bio load with a fish or two, and you don't over feed, you don't need to skim. However, you should have a large amount(1 to two lbs per gallon) of live rock in your DT and,or sump/refug. Also, consider the size of your tank relative to the bio load. If you have two fish in a 10g, that is very different from two fish in a 90gal.
Good luck with your skimming!

pbnj

Also, I know it's a popular belief that "bigger is better" when it comes to skimmers, but you really don't want a skimmer that's completely overrated for your system. An important factor in skimming is to produce a steady, consistent level of foam. If your system doesn't have a sufficient bioload for your skimmer, this will be difficult to achieve.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by pbnj
http:///forum/post/3215480
Also, I know it's a popular belief that "bigger is better" when it comes to skimmers, but you really don't want a skimmer that's completely overrated for your system. An important factor in skimming is to produce a steady, consistent level of foam. If your system doesn't have a sufficient bioload for your skimmer, this will be difficult to achieve.
In all my years, I've seen this once, and I was only temporary till the aquarist added more load.
Just be wise though where you get your numbers for skimmer ratings. Note that most manufactures grossly overrate their skimmer abilities.
A seaclone 100 is rated up to a 100gals.
Or a Coralife 220 on a 220gal tank
Talk about bailing the Titanic with a dixie cup....