Overfeeding?

urodude

I don't know how much to feed. I've stocked a new 360 gal fish only tank over the past 3 months with the following:
Asfur angel 3 inches
Emperor angel 5 inches
3 yellow tangs- 4 inches
blue hippo 6 inches(taken from my 110 gallon reef tank)
Fox face tang 6 inches- also from the reef tank
Maroon clown 2.5 inche
Japanese sweetlips- 4 inches
Picasso trigger- 2 inches
Cuban hog- 3.5 inches
Hawaian puffer 2 inches
They seem hungry all the time. I was feeding a decent sized pinch of spectrum pellets twice a day plus 3-4 squares of one frozen food or another(I got a large variety pack)
I was also ripping up sheets of algae a few times a week
I am concerned because my nitrates and nitrites are high despite my denitrifier working properly(i.e. in finishes its cycle with zero nitrates/nitrites prior to the flush period) Ammonia levels are zero.
I don't know if I am feeding too much or if the tank is still cycling. It seems clear at this point that although the tank still has plenty of room, I have populated it too quickly.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Urodude
I don't know how much to feed. I've stocked a new 360 gal fish only tank over the past 3 months with the following:
Asfur angel 3 inches
Emperor angel 5 inches
3 yellow tangs- 4 inches
blue hippo 6 inches(taken from my 110 gallon reef tank)
Fox face tang 6 inches- also from the reef tank
Maroon clown 2.5 inche
Japanese sweetlips- 4 inches
Picasso trigger- 2 inches
Cuban hog- 3.5 inches
Hawaian puffer 2 inches
They seem hungry all the time. I was feeding a decent sized pinch of spectrum pellets twice a day plus 3-4 squares of one frozen food or another(I got a large variety pack)
I was also ripping up sheets of algae a few times a week
I am concerned because my nitrates and nitrites are high despite my denitrifier working properly(i.e. in finishes its cycle with zero nitrates/nitrites prior to the flush period) Ammonia levels are zero.
I don't know if I am feeding too much or if the tank is still cycling. It seems clear at this point that although the tank still has plenty of room, I have populated it too quickly.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Feed what they can eat in about a minute and a half and nothing more.
I had my mother in law time the feedings each time she first got her saltwater tank and now she knows esactly how much to feed her fish. It took a little practice, but if a 90 years young woman can do it - so can you. She is getting really good with her tank since I set her up! I'mn really proud of her.
Good luck!
Denise M.

urodude

I could feed them 15 times a day and they would still eat it all within a minute. I am concerned because my water parameters are off(see above)

merredeth

Originally Posted by Urodude
I could feed them 15 times a day and they would still eat it all within a minute. I am concerned because my water parameters are off(see above)
I have multiple tanks with multiple fish, and then I have one with just an eel.
My feeding schedule is twice a day and water changes weekly. Yes, fish will continue to eat every time you put food in, but you should really get on a schedule so you don't overfeed them.
Some of your fish are going to graze throughout the day picking at what is in the rocks so with my schedule I think you will be okay.
Denise M.

dogstar

That does not sound like overfeeding to me, Could cut back some and watch for signs of fish getting skinny ect. Make sure all fish are getting there share.
With livestock theres allways the cycleing of ammonias to nitrites to nitrates.
So, if you have a dinitifier then maybe its not big enough BUT even with one IMO you shouds still do water changes and have a refugium with a deep sand bed and macro algaes to also remove nitrates.
You did not say what the reading was and might even try a new test kit to make sure its right.
Congradulations on the massive 360g. Got Pics ???

anthropo

you've had your tank running for only 3 months and you have all these fish in it already? that could be a problem, as well as if you have live rock and it is uncured that you are throwing in there. i would slow down on the adding of fish for a while.

urodude

I think for sure I made the common mistake of adding too much, too soon. Fortunately the fish continue to look and act healthy and seem to tolerate the nitrate/nitrate for now.
I do have a deep sand bed but it likely isn't populated with enough bacteria yet. I had a reef sculpture made(fiberglass), so no live rock.
I'm hoping that a few more weeks for the wet/dry bioballs to populate with aerobes will get the nitrites down and then the nitrates will be handled by the denitrifier(anearobes).
Fortunately the ammonia level is zip, otherwise there would likely be some mortality going on.
In the meantime, I have cut feeding down to a small amount once daily- Figure it can't hurt.