overfilteration??

expertboy

can you overfilter a tank?..i have a duel cartridge filter..prozone protien skimmer...and a 120 gallon tank..is it possible to add a more powerful filteration unit to the tank like a 120 gph pump or somthin of the sort..

nas19320

Over filter or over circulate? On a reef tank I personally like to avoid a lot of mechanical filtration because I don't wanna lose all the floating stuff that corals and such feed on. On a FO you don't need to worry about this. Circulation should be a minimum of 10x turnover but on a reef tank I prefer about 20x turnover. HTH

expertboy

this would be mainly a fish tank but will have few corals such as anemones..BTW i ask this question because my dad owns a pool biz. and i could get this equipment free..

nas19320

I would be careful of using pool equipment in a tank setup. Just because of possible leakage of oils, corrosion of components and maybe voltage leakage.

expertboy

well if i can gt one free then ill try my best but if its a hazzard i wont:/these pumps are also for hot tubs and arent so big..i can get so many different ranges of pumps to choose from.

saltymist

I have only a 20gallon high tank, and my canister says it will put out 285gph (and I really dont doubt it by the force it puts out), I also added a 160gph powerhead in the tank for added circulation.
It was way too much, my clown fish couldnt find anywhere in the tank to get a rest, and it keeps my peppermint shrimp from swimming around much, they spend more time now just walking about because they really get blown about by the large current. But my tank is oh say, just a wee bit smaller than yours

Basically mine is filtering up to 285 gph, and circulating 435gph in just a 20gallon tank, and I personally think it's just a wee bit too much, so I do believe you can have too much circulation in a tank.