Overflow and return question

avbryce1

I need help on getting my hob overflow and my return pump right I have 2 ball valves on the overflow pipes and a mag 9.5 for a return pump. when the ball valves are wide open the overflow takes water out faster than the pump returns it does any one have any tips on getting my overflow and my return pump working at the same rate.

acrylic51

IMHO I wouldn't ever restrict the water coming from my overflow by any means.....It's obvious that your pump isn't big enough for the application....What size tank are you doing this on and what is your head pressure your trying to overcome?

J

jfdjason

Your overflow should only take out what the pump is putting back in. I have heard that the pump can be too big and the overflow can't keep up, but If the pump is not flling the tank the overflow should not be dumping that fast.

marvida

My overflow is rated for 600 gph, my pump (mag 5) is rated for 500 gph. Factoring in stuff (technical hydraulics lingo) it probably is delivering maybe 400 gph. Therefore there are no adjustments, like JFDJason said, the overflow takes out what the pump delivers.

carshark

Originally Posted by avbryce1
the overflow I have claims that it is up to 1200 gph and I an running a mag 9.5 with a 4.5ft head
yeah but how big is your sump/fuge? you dont want to over pump the water. you could have a big mess on your hands....

marvida

So you're delivering a max of 950 gph back to the tank. Maybe your overflow is going to suck 1200 gph regardless of supply? Mine is a Quiet Flo 600 by Hurricane and it says specifically that the overflow will adjust to input & will function at any level up to a max of 600 gph. Sorry I can't help, hopefully someone with a better understanding of overfows will respond.

squidd

the overflow takes water out faster than the pump returns it
Can you explain a bit more, this statement...?What are the observations that lead you to this conclusion...?
It is impossible for a properly set up overflow to remove more than the pump is putting in...if it did your Main tank would drain and the sump overflow...is that what is happening...?
Forget the ballvalves (both) you don't need them or want to use them to "set" your rates and levels, there are too many variables in pump preformance to depend on a "fixed" rate for balance...
I take it this is a HOB overflow...?
Look at the following pics and see if there is an obvious difference or part missing on your setup..

avbryce1

Ill try it with the ball valves wide open and see if the inner and outer chambers level out when I get home tonight and I will get back with yall tonight. thanks

carshark

Originally Posted by avbryce1
Ill try it with the ball valves wide open and see if the inner and outer chambers level out when I get home tonight and I will get back with yall tonight. thanks

just a quick thought. is your tank level? especially front to back...

squidd

That was a pic of HOB over flow / power off...
This is what it should look like when its running...

squidd

the ball valves are wide open the overflow takes water out faster than the pump returns it
I thought the problem was when the valves were wide open...?
What did you change to fix it...?

sleasia

What you describe does not make sense unless your pump somehow was too strong and blew some of the return off track. It happened to me with my custom built acrylic tank. I thought the guys pvc cemented everything, but they didn't do some parts of the return because they figured it was better to seal them with teflon tape so they could be easily dimantled for cleaning. I didn't know all of this and my pump blew part of the pvc return connection out of track, since it was hidden in the overflow, I didn't notice it for a while, but in this case, my returns were clearly not working. but still after a while the overflow drain will stop once the water level is too low...?But in any event it looks like you solved the problem

avbryce1

Originally Posted by Squidd
I thought the problem was when the valves were wide open...?
What did you change to fix it...?
no idea

tinmanny

Do you have a drilled tank?
If so did you get the overflow and return kit?
If it is and you did then your overflow tube that goes in the tank is adjustable height and you can keep the level up by adjusting that so the water flows steady acording to the instructions

chad24

I just had this issue last night. My sump was pushing the water into the tank faster than the over flow could keep the water level up in the sump. I tried and tried. Finally I set and looked at my tank and did this :notsure:
. I kept trying and trying. Then I decided to get my level correct in the sump and when I turned evrything on, I poured water into the overflow straight down into the hole(hose) going into the sump and presto
. It worked. I have a 75 gal with a amiricle sump with a 1700 pump. Hope this helps.