Overflow box question

hookitbig

I have recently updated my sump system and hooked it all back up and maybe I am crazy but I dont think my overflow is pulling water as fast as before. Nothing has changed with the overflow box but the box inside the tank has a higher water level than before. If this makes sense it seems like its not pulling as much water as it did before. And if I were to get a bigger pump it would overflow the tank as the overflow wouldnt be fast enough?
Any thoughts

matt b

Originally Posted by hookitbig
I have recently updated my sump system and hooked it all back up and maybe I am crazy but I dont think my overflow is pulling water as fast as before. Nothing has changed with the overflow box but the box inside the tank has a higher water level than before. If this makes sense it seems like its not pulling as much water as it did before. And if I were to get a bigger pump it would overflow the tank as the overflow wouldnt be fast enough?
Any thoughts
whats the overflow rated for??? and did you add extra tubing or plumbing to the return pump?

hookitbig

I am not sure what its rated for, but it worked fine before. So I dont think that is the issue. I added no extra plumbing its the same exact setup as before except I have a sump 5 gallons larger with a new protein skimmer. Skimmer isnt running while I have been messing with this issue. I checked the hoses, but cant find anything I have noticed.

codylowe

Do you have a small pump to suck the air out of the top of the overflow? You may be losing some of the syphon if there is air trapped at the top of the U. The pumps only cost about $10 or so.

hookitbig

I got out all the air with the flexible tubing. I am stumped, basically I reduced the flow to a minimum last night so I could go to bed around midnight and plan on messing with it this weekend.
Would it help if I had another U shaped tube going from box to box?

hookitbig

How many gallons per hour can one Ushaped overflow thingy handle? All I can think is something was knocked loose on my return pump and it is now pumping more water than before. Its a Quiet One 4000 rated for approximately 1000gph. its going through about 5 ft of tube up about 4 ft. I am going to buy another u tube to see if it helps if not I am going to buy a new overflow unit?
Whats your thought?

matt b

Originally Posted by hookitbig
How many gallons per hour can one Ushaped overflow thingy handle? All I can think is something was knocked loose on my return pump and it is now pumping more water than before. Its a Quiet One 4000 rated for approximately 1000gph. its going through about 5 ft of tube up about 4 ft. I am going to buy another u tube to see if it helps if not I am going to buy a new overflow unit?
Whats your thought?
well if you only have one drain then i dont know if another u tube would help but idk