Overflow box

sergeant

Is it ok to take out the overflow box sponge?
Mine is making so much noise when it get full of stuff. Also the water level raises inside the overflow itself. :help:
I believe this is the algae problem I have, everytime I take that sponge out to clean it with tap water. :notsure:
Any suggestions or ideas are always welcome. :)

salty cheese

I don't have one on mine but then again I have a stockman mod on mine. I don't think that little bit of tap water would case an outbreak. Why don't you just use RO/DI water to clean it?

squidd

You do not need a sponge in the overflow box and as you have seen it can trap "stuff" which will decompose and cause nitrAtes to rise...
Generally a sponge is in here to help quite the "drain", but if your's is noisier with it in...all the more reason to remove it...

S

sebae0

also as th sponge accumulates debris it will slow the flow thru the overflow also. if you leave it in just clean regulary and you won't have a trate problem. i leave mine in to help catch debris.

msd2

chuck the sponge, if its noisey build a durso pipe, that will make it whisper quiet. :)

msd2

Originally posted by Sergeant
Thanks guys for your responses.
msd2
Can you elaborate on a durso pipe??? :notsure:
Do you have a pic?

sergeant

This is a awsome idea but will this work also with a smaller size overflow box? :notsure:
mine is 6"W x 3 1/4D x 8 1/2 H

msd2

Originally posted by Sergeant
This is a awsome idea but will this work also with a smaller size overflow box? :notsure:
mine is 6"W x 3 1/4D x 8 1/2 H

Should, my overflow isnt very big either only a 1 inch pipe at the bottom. Measure the inside diameter of the area ur drain is in. It might be cramped but I think one would fit unless your drain is big, because the biggest part is the sleeve.