overflow gph questions

ottbry

Okay, I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do as far ad filtration goes, but now I've got an overflow question. Okay, I've got a store bought overflow box that is going to drain into my filter. It's going to have a 25 ish inch drop to the top of the wet dry tower thing, plus another 25 ish inches to the bottom. Then, the filter is going to be in two parts with a pvc overflow in between. It can have a maximum of like, one foot of drop. So, what I'm wondering is if the difference in drops is going to affect the gph rate of either. The store bought one is set, but I can still change the diameter of the other, so yeah. Also, to have everything go right, I have to have everything with the same to keep the system going right, don't i?

snakeblitz33

You can't use an external overflow on a tank that is practically side by side. Gravity just doesn't work that way.
First off, what is the max flow of your overflow box?
Secondly, what is the max flow of your return pump?
What brands of equipment are you using?
Water goes full cycle through a sump - you can use 1" drain pvc on your overflow and 1/2" return plumbing - as long as your return pump pushes enough water to your aquarium to keep your overflow primed.

1guydude

+1 u want ur overflow gph to be greater than ur return pump gph...otherwise ull end up with a wet floor :eek: