overflow problem

u mike

Is there a way to slience the noise coming from the overflow box. i just added a sump about a month ago & the noise is starting to be too much. please help.

bang guy

Since you mentioned box I'll assume you have a hang-on overflow? If so then do a search for "Stockman". If you have an internal then search on "Durso".

S

saxman

Bang Guy's recommendations are right on, and are the best solution. However, you can try using a drinking straw, or piece of airline to vent the standpipe as well. I've done this in a pinch and it does work, but takes a bit of futzing.
What you do is take whatever tube you use and slide it into the standpipe (don't let go!). Now, SLOWLY begin to draw the tube out of the standpipe until you find the "sweet spot" where the noise stops. Then secure the tube in that spot and voila. Like I said, sometimes you nail it right off the bat, and sometimes you really have to mess with it. Try different sides of the standpipe as well if you have trouble.

lbannie

I have a hang on overflow. I put a shut off valve on the tube down to the sump so I can take it apart for cleaning. Anyway, I turned the valve a bit so it's not fully open and the noise is much better! I watched the bubbles going down the tube....now It's more like a constant flow (no churning) Hope that makes sense!

S

saxman

What you may have done is simply matched your flows (outflow vs. return) a bit better by dialing it back a tad. It's also possible that the valve has interrupted the flow enuff so it vents better. If it works, and everything else is fine, run with it. Be aware that your outflow will be easier to clog up tho.

nysignguy

this is pretty much my same problem.. is it better to put a valve on the drain line or the return line? cause my water is slamming into the drip try and splashs out around the sides and out the vent what is the standpipe? i see people talking about that?