overflow question

ophiura

You may want to post in the DIY section. You can also google CPR overflows as they are a common manufacturer. But otherwise we ask that you not request direction to other stores
thanks!

candycane

These were two methods I used or helped use, so if the thing starts leaking everywhere, not my fault.
I went to the local hardware store and purchased some 3/8" thick acrylic and had it cut. Made the box about 8 inches long by 4 inches wide. I had to keep cutting and cutting and cutting the hole bigger till it eventually handled a rate of 650GPH. It stinks at first, but it usually give you a good guesstimate in the future. A buddy of mine created one that was about 3 feet long that ran along the BACK of his tank (grooves in the acrylic). That one has something like 5 hoses that ran down the back.

coralreefer

would the cpr cs50 with a 3/4" "outake" produce about 500 gph? it is rated at 300, but the ratings are never right.
the reason i want to have an overflow that is 500gph is because i don't want to go through the hassle of ordering a special pump online. my local petsmart has a quiet one 2200 pump thats rated at 580 gph. after 4.5' of headloss that would be somewhere around 500 gph right?

candycane

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/2594892
would the cpr cs50 with a 3/4" "outake" produce about 500 gph? it is rated at 300, but the ratings are never right.
the reason i want to have an overflow that is 500gph is because i don't want to go through the hassle of ordering a special pump online. my local petsmart has a quiet one 2200 pump thats rated at 580 gph. after 4.5' of headloss that would be somewhere around 500 gph right?
The first would be a question for the manufacturer. The second would be who knows - the maker probably would though. All pumps are different and do not consistently drop a certain amount of GPH just based on head height.
The only reason that I would say to probably build your own, is so you wouldn't have to worry about all this stuff. Most plastic shops MIGHT have some leftover acrylic that you can buy cheap. Get it cut for free, then buy whatever that weld stuff is (Weld-On I think) to seal the corners and some aquarium silicone. Last time I did it, it cost about 8 dollars to build an overflow, LOL. But it was fun because I could "fine tune" the outlet of it and just buy the plumbing for a couple of bucks. It's what taught me how to work with acrylic in beginning and started saving me a BUNCH when I started building my own stuff.