overflow/return pump question

allen1973

Well got my fuge set up just about.I have a 600 gph overflow box and a quiet one 800 pump that will get me roughly 150 gph at 3' of head which I have.How do you slow down the overflow so it accomodates the pump size?

jasenhicks

Uh, dont slow the overflow down, get a bigger pump. I would say use a couple of PVC ball valves in line if you absoultely must, but i would recommend a bigger pump. Bigger than what your overflow is, because u can always throttle the outlet of a pump safely.
jasen

benj420

I would never put a restriction (ie ball valve) on the overflow portion of the plumbing, only the return side. What kind of overflow is it? Without knowing any specifics of your overflow, just about all I have seen will handle anything up to their rated amount and 150 would be just fine.

acrylic51

You can safely throttle the output side of your pump without causing harm.........The outflow of the pump is on the RETURN SIDE. I think what you might be referring to is your drain lines from the overflow??? If that's the cause I'm totally against that!!!!!! Maybe look at upgrading your overflow if you can....