Overflow size question

smithers

I have doing my research had have decided to order a 120g Tenecor corner pentagon tank 30inch deep ..
My question is the standard tank has a 6 inch x 6 inch over flow in the corner (make for 12 inches of liner space) and one 1 inch drain. Is this enough??
I figure that I would run about 1200gph (10x) though the sump and I am not sure the overflow and drain could handle it.. Also is 10x though the sump enough I see some posters using 20 - 30 x ???

turningtim

You will only get 600 gph max out of a 1" drain.
You shouldn't count on having that much flow through the sump. The sump size will determine how much flow you can run through it.
You will need to have some added flow with either power heads or a closed loop.
I would bump up the drain size to 2@1" drains.
BTW depending on what you plan to keep a 30" deep tank isn't the easiest to light.
HTH
Tim

smithers

I was worried about that. I will see what can be done on the drain..
As for the 30 inch deep, I have considered the problems with lighting the tank. I know that I will be limiting myself to lower light coral ( and will have to keep it in the top 2/3rds of the tank) . I just really like the looks of the tall tanks especially in a corner since the viewable surface is already limited.
Since this is a corner tank I will not be able to do a closed loop (tank will be pushed all the way back against the wall). So I am guessing I will need a power head in there somewhere. This I will worry about once the tank is in place..

dmitry

You're not necessarily limiting yourself to lower light corals. Since this is a corner tank its area must not be very large. A metal halide or two should light it pretty well. Plus, you can always move those corals that need the most light higher.

trippkid

See if you can go with a 1.5" drain, that will give you roughly 1500gph going to sump and do the rest with powerheads or a closed loop. If it isn't going in a corner(360 veiw), I would see if the overflow could be in the center of the tank, IMO.
Matt