Overlfow Problems

reefeel

Alright, so I finally go my tank set up and running, but I have a problem. My standpipes can't keep up with my Reeflo Barracuda pump. They only way I can keep the standpipes up with the pump is if I make the standpipe work like a siphon, but then it siphons too fast. So I am in an odd predictiment I wanted to use a Dart pump, but that was too small now my Barracuda is too big. What should I do? Oh, and I already have my valve to the pump turned as far as it will go before it makes noise.
Thanksinfo
300 gallon tank
1 1/2 in durso
1 in durso
6inx10in overflow
8 3/4in returns 2 in a loop with the sump

murph145

ok ur using a barracuda pump as ur return pump for your overflow to the sump??
wow thats just way too much flow if thats what ur doing....
ok how many overflows do u have??
what size are the overflow drains?
lets go from there....
basically on my 180 i have a center overflow box that can handle around 1000gph of flow through it.... so i bought a pump that does 1200gph to allow for head loss created by all the piping and such.....
anyways even if u had 2 overflows in your 300g tank u should only need a pump that does around 2000-2500gph.....
u really dont want a dart or a barracuda sicne they are meant strictly for flow applications they have no head pressure at all and are not meant as return pumps in any form....
answer these ?'s and we will go from there

reefeel

Thanks for the help. I manage to fix the problem after trying various hole sizes in the standpipe cap.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by murph145
ok ur using a barracuda pump as ur return pump for your overflow to the sump??
wow thats just way too much flow if thats what ur doing....
ok how many overflows do u have??
what size are the overflow drains?
lets go from there....
basically on my 180 i have a center overflow box that can handle around 1000gph of flow through it.... so i bought a pump that does 1200gph to allow for head loss created by all the piping and such.....
anyways even if u had 2 overflows in your 300g tank u should only need a pump that does around 2000-2500gph.....
u really dont want a dart or a barracuda sicne they are meant strictly for flow applications they have no head pressure at all and are not meant as return pumps in any form....
answer these ?'s and we will go from there
The Barracuda isn't to much flow for a 300 :notsure: The sizing on the overflow and the bulkheads will dictate how much they will handle....One thing you could do is throttle the pump down, and contrary to what people say, these pumps are designed just for that very thing if needed.....It won't harm the pump, and it will cause the motor to downspin and in return it will utilize less electricity as well......
Darts, Barracuda, Hammerheads are good at use as return pumps......Is the overflow capable of handling that flow?? Doubt it......The pump could be "T" off and used to supply water to something else.....
As Murph stated give detailed information as far as:
Overflow size?
How many drains in the overflow box?
Size of bulkheads being used in oveflow?
Pipe size from overflow box?
Pipe size back to tank?
By the way I'm using a HammerHead on my 240 setup and no issues so again the theory of to much pump is insane........

acrylic51

Originally Posted by reefeel
Thanks for the help. I manage to fix the problem after trying various hole sizes in the standpipe cap.
Open that pump up and let it flow!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you hear the thing run? Those pumps are so quiet for the amount of water they move....My HammerHead is dead quiet.....I have to at times go over and touch it to see if it's really running.......

reefeel

The Barracuda is very quiet, it is a little hard to tell right now because I don't have the front and the sides of the tank on so any sound it does makes gets amplified in the stand.