$$$... overpriced tanks!

ilove2ride

I asked my LFS about setting up a 55 gallon tank, and the owner said it would cost $1,000- non reef! There is a way to pay less for this... right? :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and how much would it cost for a 55 gallon reef? (should I ask?!;) )

rockster

It's amazing how LFS treat their potential customers. I was just at my lfs this morning and I saw a 175G reef-ready tank with hood and stand for $899, and I thought it was still steep.
I would not go back to that lfs you are talking about because it insults your intelligence.:mad:

wrassecal

We just hit the 3 grand mark and decided it's time to stop counting, especially since we are now ready to upgrade to a 120gal:eek: Good news is we have everything to get the 120 going except the actual tank and stand which is the least expensive part. We paid $600.00 for our 55 gal tank, stand, emperor 400, emperor 280, 2 maxijet 900 powerheads and protein skimmer.

carrie1429

At the LFS that I work at we have a 200gal 6 ft long reef tank with lots of expensive fish, tons of corals (not very cheap corals either), very beautiful tank for only like $2,000, so I think $1,000 for a 55 non-reef is way overpriced.

frankl15207

Consistent with the other replies, a true "reef ready" tank will run about $10 / gallon. My LFS will deliver a 75 complete for $750 and set it up for another $50.

ilove2ride

They meant the complete set-up with an expensive unecessary built in filtration in the back, + LR and LS. and stand, etc. No fish, water, or any adnormal gadgets. - just expensive! LOL

ajwaters

i took me about a month to finally buy a tank after some major shopping. (went to every store) finallly a lfs had a flyer in the mail that my dad noticed 90g w/stand, glass tops and floresent light $300.00 . Most of the stuff i have is from a different store most of my dry goods filter ect.. are from online shops--books=----, live rock sand I drive for awhile to get a 3.00 lbs.
when I first decided to go into this hobby i was goin to spend $800 on a tank and stand lucky for me that guy turned out to be an @$$ and i choose not to spend my money with him. so far i got about $1100 in all in to the tank. I still need a kick butt lighting system that i'm cherry pickin for know, more water movement and finish getting my live rock. just takes time and patience but that helps make it fun!!!!! :cool:

way overpriced, but try to chek out in other LFS stores, in one of my LFS stores they had a 55 gallon that was new and had a 110 gallon that was cheaper by a $100 because it had been preowned, so chek in that and it will come way cheaper.

ilove2ride

By unecessary I mean that you do not need a filtration system literally attached to your tank... you know, those acrilyic ones. Also, water wasnt included, because this was a setup that I would do @ home... not predone. I would add the LR, LS, etc later.

nickoz

I had extremely good luck with the want ads.
You can find people who are getting out of the hobby for one reason or another. Just as a reference point, I got a 72 gallon bow, tank, stand, canopy, 2x175w MH, 2x40w NO, 70-100 lb LR, 3 in LS, 20 gallon sump, RedSea Classic Berlin Skimmer, 200w heater, several pumps and powerheads, food, various chemicals, a few books and more.. we broke the tank down, took as much of the original (cycled!) water as possible.
Guess how much........... $700...
A few weeks later I found the canopy with exact same lighting at a slightly overpriced local LFS for $800. And I dont even need to mention the LR, 70-100lb at $4-8 a pound depending on where you get it from... very sweet deal.. (im not still too excited about it or anything)
I got a very good deal but there are others, maybe not as good of a deal, or should I say steal, but they are still good. check it out
good luck!
-nick

bethany

if you have the patience and would like to save a few hundred bucks why not try to do it yourself? I am (but still in the planning phase ) :)