overstocking question

elementzx

im wondering if im overstocked, right now for fish ive got 4 green chromis (had 5 one just died like 10 minutes ago) all of which are 1 inch in size, 1 firefish goby aprox. 3 inches long, one sixline wrasse about 2 inches long, and a black molly (hes picking on my chromis so im thinking about getting rid of him) my inverts are 8 hermit crabs none bigger than an inch, 3 small snails 3 XXL snails, and a sally lightfoot crab of average size. My tank is only a 20 gallon. I only have about 10 lbs of live rock right now so i know i need more of that, and i was wondering for fish if i would have enough room for one replacement chromis and maybe a couple more fish, perhaps a clown or one or two Banggai Cardinals. For inverts i wouldnt mind having a small cleaner shrimp and maybe either a decorator crab or an emerald. just wondering, i wouldnt be heartbroken if i cant get anything more.

~thanks
Casey

ibanez

I think your overstocked with the chromis. How long has this tank been set up? There are some other fish you could add besides the chromis that would do fine, but I personally don't think a 20 gallon tank is big enough for 5 chromis. Do they pick on each other? You probably need more live rock to harbor more bacteria for that many fish as well unless you have really good filtration.

elementzx

the tank has been up for about 2 months now maybe a little more, the chromis are all pretty small compared to the ones at the LFS and they dont pick on eachother at all, they love schooling and trying to gang up on the molly haha. like i said, one of them died earlier so i only have 4 right now.

ibanez

They may be small now, but remember, they grow fast. You have to buy inhabitants based on the size they become otherwise you end up in a pickle down the road.

Originally Posted by elementzx
http:///forum/post/3239670
im wondering if im overstocked, right now for fish ive got 4 green chromis (had 5 one just died like 10 minutes ago) all of which are 1 inch in size, 1 firefish goby aprox. 3 inches long, one sixline wrasse about 2 inches long, and a black molly (hes picking on my chromis so im thinking about getting rid of him) my inverts are 8 hermit crabs none bigger than an inch, 3 small snails 3 XXL snails, and a sally lightfoot crab of average size. My tank is only a 20 gallon. I only have about 10 lbs of live rock right now so i know i need more of that, and i was wondering for fish if i would have enough room for one replacement chromis and maybe a couple more fish, perhaps a clown or one or two Banggai Cardinals. For inverts i wouldnt mind having a small cleaner shrimp and maybe either a decorator crab or an emerald. just wondering, i wouldnt be heartbroken if i cant get anything more.

~thanks
Casey