Overwhelmed already!!!!

firekat96

WOW, Who knew it was so much involved in a SW tank. I just baught my 5 year old a tank for his birthday, really wanted to make it a SW but after reading all the great info on here it may be to much of an undertaking.
I have a 36gal bow front with full hood and light.
600wt heater
hang on filter like the ones I have seen people posting pics of on here
So many questions but first, how often do you have to do water changes and how much of it when you do.
AND The most important, where do I even begin.
I have read the new hobbyiest section and the 101 tips but still a lil intemidated.
How long can I expect to wait before adding fish 4-6 weeks???
He really wants a Nemo so please help me not disappoint him!!
Thanks for any help.
Shane.

It isnt as bad as you think. Dont lose heart. You can do it and will be happy you did. I am going to let the more experieced folks walk you through it. good luck!

cubnb79

welcome,
im a newbie to but i can say i only change water when test kit shows something is wrong or at least once every two weeks...and i do anywhere from 10% to 20% of the water...i would get enough live sand mixed with some crushed coral but i think you could just do live sand enough to have few inch deep of sand bed...you also need to get 1-1.5lbs of live rock per gallon but could always do more if you wanted but dont think you need it all at one time....as far as adding fish that's im sure everyone going to have diffrent ideas on that...get a cheap api saltwater test kit that's all you need at this time....there's lots of other things im sure but i think ill leave that at this for now...

flower

Hi and welcome to the site....lucky 5 year old.
Any fish tank, saltwater or freshwater has to have that first cycle, actually saltwater is less work in the end. Having critters that actually clean the tank like in a saltwater system....as opposed to freshwater with full break downs to clean off all the algae. You won't have to clean your sandbed, remove all the water or scrub your rocks clean. In saltwater the critters do that for you. You will need your own SW test kits..get the lab type. I use Seachem.
Live rock, you can use dead rock as long as it is for saltwater tanks....and live aragonite sand is the best way to start. Use RO water, (reverse osmose) from the grocery store. Walmart sells water for 37 cent a gallon. Don't use tap water. Get a couple of 5g jugs.
At least once each month, you mix some new saltwater up and remove some old saltwater and replace with the same amount of new, making sure the salt level (SG) are the same. Get a good CUC (Clean Up Crew) of snails and a serpent or brittle star (not a green brittle, they eat fish) Feed your fish frozen cube food of mysis and rinse it before you feed the fish. That will keep phosphates down ansd it's good food that won't pollute the tank.
In a 36g tank...remove 10g of old water, if you do it once a week do only 3 to 5 gallon swaps. You also have top offs....water evaporates but salt doesn't, mark your fish tanks water level, and everyday if the water line drops refill to the line with (RO) freshwater. This will keep the SG at the same level all the time.
For a fish only with live rock and some snails....easy

florida joe

Quote:
For a fish only with live rock and some snails....easy
with all due respect i am still looking for somthing in this hobby that truly is easy

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already#post_3405528
with all due respect i am still looking for somthing in this hobby that truly is easy
Joe, the CUC is my lifes happy discovery, nothing in freshwater does such an awesome job. LOL...I used to completely break down my freshwater tanks and scrub the algae, vacuum the gravel and clean every inch of the tank....I have not done that even once on a saltwater fish tank....and it has been many years now. I do believe saltwater tanks are easier on the back than freshwater hands down. A little water change and TLC a saltwater tank with only fish is sweet ease.
Nothng that is alive is maintenance free. All beautiful creatures need care and love. So I guess it will depend on what we call easy.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already#post_3405501
WOW, Who knew it was so much involved in a SW tank. I just baught my 5 year old a tank for his birthday, really wanted to make it a SW but after reading all the great info on here it may be to much of an undertaking.
I have a 36gal bow front with full hood and light.
600wt heater
hang on filter like the ones I have seen people posting pics of on here
So many questions but first, how often do you have to do water changes and how much of it when you do.
AND The most important, where do I even begin.
I have read the new hobbyiest section and the 101 tips but still a lil intemidated.
How long can I expect to wait before adding fish 4-6 weeks???
He really wants a Nemo so please help me not disappoint him!!
Thanks for any help.
Shane.
IT all seems intimidating. I have been doing this for 6 years and there are things that I think.... I could never do that..... I try it and then I can actually do it. Just start with getting the tank set up, starting the cycle. Ultimately you have to have the tank tell you when you can add anything. It will do it through your tests.

florida joe

Quote:
and there are things that I think.... I could never do that..... I try it and then I can actually do it
so true just ask meowzer

S

siptang

Welcome to the site,
like these fine people have said already, it's bit hard to start out but it will be worth it and be very rewarding down the line.
there are ways to hasten the process but it's more money and more time and attention consuming.
Take a deep breath and take one step at a time and before you know it, you will be ready.
I'm helping my friend set up a 110g tank after he fell in love with mine.
This is his second week and he's eager but he's waiting patiently because he doesn't want his 3 year see anything dead in there.

firekat96

Thanks for all the warm welcome's, Siptang that's what I'm afraid of is him seeing one of his fish dead.
Flower, he is so dang excited it's going to be hard for him to wait 4-6 weeks or how ever long it may take to add fish.
I was thinking about doing 2" of live sand and then the live rock, does this sound ok cause I see a few of you talk about mixing the sand not sure what that is about or the CC, which is better
So I can go ahead and put the sand and rock in and SW and toss in a raw shrimp and let it go for a while?? Is this a good starting point?? And do you run the filters while this is going on??
Or what is the fastest/best way to get it cycled so we can atleast add the CUC for him.
You folks rock, please keep the info coming!!
Thanks

florida joe

Quote:
So I can go ahead and put the sand and rock in and SW and toss in a raw shrimp and let it go for a while?? Is this a good starting point?? And do you run the filters while this is going on??
yes
and now is a great time to pic up a good book on the hobby and start reading

firekat96

I will for sure pick up a book.
So can I mix the water in the tank since it's a new start up or pre mix it and what salt is the best to use.

cubnb79

you could add just one rock per week or two that way it changes for your kid every week so he might be good with that for now say you goto build his house first...just a thought...i use instant ocean salt in the orange bag since mine is fish only for now not sure what the diffrence is in the reef salt bag

florida joe

you can mix this one time in your tank, i like the one rock at a time thing . i should keep things interesting for a while

scott t

I am sort of New to SWF been doing research for almost 2 years, and just set up a 75g DT. I have a 29g QT that has been running for months that has 2 clown fish in it. If there is any piece of advice that I can give you, it is to be Patient and not rush things. It will also teach your 5yo to be patient also. Take your time, to ask questions, research, and enjoy things as they happen. Seeing my 75g tank here with just sand and rock in it, drives me crazy, but I know I must wait until what needs to happen does. I dont want to rush things and have a bad experience so that I give up. Take your time, do it the right way. Patience is the Key in this hobby.
Scott