Oxygen

stoss

My plant life is growing rapidly, but my fish seem to be breathing hard. I have six fish in my 75 gallon. I have a protein skimmer and a wet/dry filter. Just wondering if they have enough air. No fatalities - trying to be proactive

salt210

is there any surface agitation. remember this is part of the gas exchange. how are the returns from the wet/dry setup?

meowzer

How about listing all the info on your tank....what filtration do you use, what fish are in it...what TYPE of powerheads...water parameters...etc

stoss

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3113422
How about listing all the info on your tank....what filtration do you use, what fish are in out...what TYPE of powerheads...water parameters...etc
I have;
sump
wet/dry filter
protein filter
propeller pump
fish:
fu man chu
vlamingi tang
blue hippo tang
maroon clown
blue jaw trigger
checkerboard wrasse

stoss

Do you think the temp is the problem? Everything is growing nicely in the tank: green star polyps, mushrooms, various colored polyps, and plant life.

meowzer

This is a small piece from the description SWF offers about the Vlamingi Tang:
These fish are a very docile Tang species and do well with other Tangs, as well as other fish. The Vlamingi Tang should be kept in a minimum tank size of 250 gallons
. Keep only one per tank.

ALSO, can you list your water parameters?

uneverno

I agree w/ Joe.
While 71° is pretty low - fish being cold blooded animals - lower temp. would result in slower breathing, all else being normal.
If it is indeed a problem, there's something else going on here.

oceansidefish

I would agree that thats likely the problem, I would SLOWLY begin to raise your temp to more in the 76-80 range. Thats also a HUGE stocklist for a small tank, I would imagine your nitrates and phosphates are off the charts...And PS algae in the tank does not need oxegyn to grow.

stoss

Sorry about that my temp is 79. I dont know the name of the plant life but it looks like a feather. All my fish are 2 1/2 inches small. I know the vlamingii is going to be too big for this tank but he cannot go in my other tank which is a 200 gallon (he's not big enough to handle the fish in there, so i am waiting for him to get bigger). my ph level is 7.8

scsinet

I'd have a hard time believing that dissolved gases are a problem if you have a protein skimmer...
I'll join the others in saying post your basic water parameters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate, alkalinity). There are so many more likely things than gas levels... basic parms is a starting point.

calbert0

cold water holds more oxygen..... as temperature increase oxygen levels decrease.... 75-78 degrees Farenheit is preferrable...