Oxygenation of water?

doc308

How do I know if my tank is getting enough oxygenation? I don't have a "bubbler" because I thought that was bad for the fish and live rock. But then I have read that proper water oxygenation is important and can be a problem if it's poor. So is a "bubbler" necessary? How do I know if my fish are getting enough oxygen?

bang guy

Oxygen is rarely a problem unless you add AmQuel or some other ammonia detox additive.
The issue is CO2. An appropriately sized skimmer will pull out CO2 so that's a good piece of equipment to have.

doc308

Thank you very much!
I think I need a better powerhead...it's only 240 gph. Barely stirs the surface of the water. Today I got a flow changing device to give a little flow alteration. I will get a koralia tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone

Great thread here. You got the right answers in the 1st 2 posts by some people that know their stuff!

I run bubble bars in my QT tank but flow/skimmer does it in my DT.

spanko

Another important way to get rid of the Co2 buildup that Bang spoke of is to ensure you have adequate surface agitation. You should have some rippling of the surface of the tank.This drives Co2 out and Oxygen into the water. Also helps to break up any "skim" on the top of the water from food - proteins etc.