Ozone Skimmer

dragonboy

What is the best skimmer for using ozone and also anyone know what is the best setup for ozone? I plan to install ozone for my next setup and trying find the best safe way to run it. Anyone have any ideas or experience with help me out. It will be for a 300 gallon tank fish only possible with corals as well.

acrylic51

I've used ozone a long time ago, and it is effective, but to answer the question as far as best skimmer for using ozone, can't honestly be answered....The best thing to do IMHO would be to determine what skimmer you have in mind and then check with the manufacturer on the use of ozone with that skimmer.....Some parts aren't ozone safe, and if the skimmer isn't it will destroy it quickly.....Ozone is an oxidizer.......You want to make sure you inject ozone in conjuction with the use of a controller....An over dose of ozone, can be lethal to your fish, but also you as well....So it's something you just don't let run unmetered or unchecked.....Probably the simpliest ozone maker out there IMO is the one by RedSea.....They have several different models; some with the controllers others not. They also make different sizes of ozone machines as well, and that is determined by size of system.....
What is your reasoning for wanting to use/inject ozone?

dragonboy

The reason I want ozone because it makes the water crystal clear. What brand of skimmer did you use? I heard a reactor would be great for a ozone setup. I just to do a setup like this because of the wonderful clear water it will produce but I heard so much danger it can do I just want to make sure to do it the safest way possible.

scsinet

IMO ozone is safe when used properly. As long as you don't go crazy with the dosing rate, the risk is quite low.
I use a Red Sea Aquazone Plus 50, which has the controller built in. My skimmer is a Deltec AP851. I've used this setup for several years now with no problems, other than a flood taking out my luft pump.
Most of your high end skimmers are going to be ozone safe, but many lower priced units are not. Making a skimmer that is ozone safe takes some definite engineering decisions, so if the manufacturer cannot give you a definite answer on the suitability of ozone with a skimmer, then you can probably safely assume that it's not safe. Keep in mind that ozone has fallen out of popularity lately, so I would expect that fewer manufacturers are making it a priority to build ozone safe skimmers.