Ozonizers

Is it a good thing to add a ozonizer to my Tsnk. Some fish dealers say its the same thing as using a uv sterilizer. Most local stores don't even carry them. Yet only one store I deal with says its a good investment, but everyone else says they are a waste of money. Please give me a little input on this. Mike

sw65galma

If used properly, it's a good investment.
Not only does it kill parasites and bacteria, it also increases the effeciency of your skimmer.
It sounds to good to be true, why doesn't everyone have one?Now you may ask...what's the catch?
The catch is, you need an orp Monitor/Controller. because you can have TOO MUCH OZONE in your tank and start killing fish.
ORP Monitor will measure the ORP (oxidation-reduction potential, or REDOX) of your system. It is popular with those who use ozone gas or potassium permanganate as an artificial oxidation agent in fresh or saltwater. Constant monitoring of the ORP is useful in keeping tabs on the overall health of a system, as a drop in ORP often precedes visual or other indications of trouble. Many serious marine enthusiasts who do not use ozone gas use this meter to judge the overall health of their reef systems.
So when the ORP level gets to a certain point it shuts down the ozone generator.
Like I said..if used properly, it's great.

tony detroit

Overdosing your tank is close to impossible with the units available in the hobby.
The most common thing you'd experience is nose bleeds and frequent headaches if you overdosed.
If you're looking to kill parasites alone a UV is still superior IMO.
I run both.

T

thomas712

Hey tony still using both huh? Thought of you last week, I was driving down what used to be Novi Rd. I no longer recognize a thing down there. I could not believe what took place in New Hudson, and didn't recognize a thing going down S.Milford road to Milford.
Do you still have a fairly good pod population? Havent used my ozonizer in months now.
Thomas

tony detroit

Yup, good pod poppulation, and one fat and happy mandarin. If you're ever going to be in Novi let me know and we'll meet up, it'd be nice to meet you.

T

thomas712

Who me? Nah I'll keep it around in case I get a wild hair in my ear and decide to plug it back in.