Paddle Wrasse

pfitz44

Anyone have any information on these?? I boutght one last week... Seems to be wreaking havoic on my tank...

poniegirl

Scientific name Thalassoma Lucasanum..nice looking fish.
Just judging by the look of the fish and my experience with wrasse in general, I'm going to guess the two most obvious "havocs"..
1) Your crab population is dissappearing
2) Anything that is not glued down, is being moved
?

pfitz44

thanks.....
too little too late...
Killed annennome, and yes, moving rocks, etc...
Guess i really should reasearch first....
You think you would learn this far along in the hobby.... doh!

cjml

Originally Posted by PFitz44
Anyone have any information on these?? I boutght one last week... Seems to be wreaking havoic on my tank...
Am not familiar with that wrasse-do you have a picture? Wrasse are definitely a species that should be researched before buying! Learned that as well -no more shrimp in my tank--but I do love my wrasses! Especially my big beautiful bird! But none have ever killed my anemones or bothered my live rock. Only some of my crustaceons. But they are hearty eaters.

dogstar

More commonly called a Rainbow Wrasse, they dont get much larger than 5 inches, very active, need lots of room and as said, not safe with most small crustasions and may be aggressive with more smaller and peacefull fish.

poniegirl

thanks.....
too little too late...
Killed annennome, and yes, moving rocks, etc...
Guess i really should reasearch first....
You think you would learn this far along in the hobby.... doh!
Don't feel bad!
I have a pair of red cigar wrasse that will have to be my main fish for quite a while and I did not research enough before that purchase, either.
These two will force me into an upgrade at some point, soon. They are 4-5 inches now and still growing. My tank is a 55 :scared:
Like cjml, though, I love these wrasse, they are very entertaining, lively fish! Never thought I would see a fish pick up a rock and carry it!

cjml

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Don't feel bad!
I have a pair of red cigar wrasse that will have to be my main fish for quite a while and I did not research enough before that purchase, either.
These two will force me into an upgrade at some point, soon. They are 4-5 inches now and still growing. My tank is a 55 :scared:
Like cjml, though, I love these wrasse, they are very entertaining, lively fish! Never thought I would see a fish pick up a rock and carry it!

pfitz44

Update:
As of saturday, hes gone... and the guy at the LFS made fun of me too for getting it...
"Whats in the bag?"
I hold it up
blank stare.... "Dont you have a reef??"
I lower me head.... "yea..... i know....."
So now i gots me a lepoard wrasse... much better!

reefforbrains

Update:
"Whats in the bag?"
I hold it up
blank stare.... "Dont you have a reef??"
I lower me head.... "yea..... i know....."
Classic....Thats awesome.....Sorry he didnt work out. But lesson learned. Good luck with the new addittion