Painting Metal Halide Pendants

tervman

I have a pair of MH pendants a friend gave me. My wife is hesitant to let me hang them, because of the color. Does anyone know if it is possible to paint the outside of the pendants? Can you recommend a type or brand of paint to use. Is it possible to put something like contact paper on the outside, if paint won't work?
Thanks, as usual.

damndamsel

Not sure the temp of the outside but if that is the consern go by some engine paint. You can get almost any color in spray form nowadays from a decent paint supplier they will just add it to a can.
I would steal wool and clean the outside first.

alison

:happyfish You might want to also try paint for barbeques, they are all high temp also. I wouldn't do contact paper. What's wrong with the color? Does she want them white? If so, bbq paint only comes in like grey, and black. Good luck, ali

tervman

Originally posted by alison
What's wrong with the color?

They really don't "go" with anything in our family room. Honestly, I don't care for the color either, and there is some rust on them, so they need to be cleaned up anyway. That's why I was thinking I could paint them a different color. Thanks.

T

tizzo

My own MH canopy barely gets warm, so I know the temp wouldn't be to hot to paint. My concern would be, if the paint chipped off it would fall into the tank. Cause It's a barely porous metal... I would think it would chip easily. But I was wanting to put cool stickers on mine. You know, reef pics, maybe Wyland or what's his name..Christian Riese Lassen (?).
Or maybe even a nice styled contact paper. It sounds cheap and tacky, but with some imagination, you can make it pretty. And if you can't, then hey, it's removable.