Pairing diamond gobies.

reef diver

I am wondering if there is any way to tell diamond gobies apart, gender wise. Or is it just luck, when they get paired.

anonome

I had a mated pair of diamond gobies, unfortunately the male jumped ship. He definately had a longer spine on the dorsal fin. I still just have the female, looking for another mate. Everywhere I have read they say there is not way to tell, but my pair definately had a difference in the dorsal fin.

reef diver

Do you have a pictuer to show, so I can get an example, it is kind of hard to tell. Not to say your wrong, but id like to know what gender mine is. Last night he jumped ship out of a 2 inch hole next to the overflow. I found him though before he died. :) 90% of my tank is covered however, its just a few tricky spots.

anonome

Jeez Reef Diver, I wish I did. I have looked through all of my pictures and the gobies were either turned the wrong way, or had their dorsal fins down. The best way to describe it is it looked very much like the male mandarins' dorsal with a long spike like thing on the front of the dorsal fin. It extended about a 1/2" above the fin, and it was white. I am assuming of course that this was the male, I really don't know for sure if it was. But the other one did not have this, and still doesn't. They sure did like each other though. They were very close all the time. I only had the male for about 1 week when he too jumped out of the tank. I wasn't so lucky though, he was all dried up when I got home. Sorry I couldn't help.