pairs of clown fish....

cypress

guys i have a question....if i got two clown fish of the same kind and they werent by eachother in the LFS ,when i bring them home and put them in my tank will they most likely swim next to eachother ??and act as like mates??

col

They may swim together. Even if bought from same tank they will battle for dominance at some stage, but will hopefully get along once this is sorted.
I thought my pair had done all their squabbling but after 6 months one killed the other.

When you put them they will fight, and the winner will the be male then the other becomes the female. they can change their ---.:)

blueberryboomer

The bigger of the two will be the female, the smaller one if its a female will change to a male. The bigger one is always the female.... Lisa

rook

Am actually just added a second maroon clown to my tank.
Generally if a clown is left alone (with no other clowns) it will become a female. Two female will never get along and will fight to the death. If you have two males, the strongest male will become a female and the two will likely mate. If they are still juvenals, then hopefully they will become a female and male.
Supposedly the best way to pair clowns sit to add one, make sure it is a female, then add a second, much smaller juvenal, and hope the female accepts it.
It also depends on the species. What type of clowns???? Did you buy them yet, or could the store put them together to see if they mate first???

col

Smallfish
It's the other way round. The winner becomes the female and becomes the dominant one
BlueberryBoomer
I'm not sure that they turn from female to male. All are born males and dominant ones change to female.
BadBrad
If they are babies they just may be different size. You will see a change in their behaviour as time goes by. They will fight for dominance and once his is sorted they will be ok.