Paly Removal Question

slice

I have some pink and gold palys that I need to thin out. Their growth rate is insane. More than GSP. More than Xenia. More than anything I've seen or read about.
I intend to pull, as if weeding a garden, a good number (12+) of polyps this weekend. I will either wear gloves or use a tool, and I will change out my carbon beforehand.
My question is whether I will have toxin issues in the tank?

1guydude

no ur kool! If possible take the rock piece out but u can cut under the paly on the mat and pull away! Ull probably pull up a decent amount of em! I know wat palys ur talkin about too! LOL everyones sayin they get ridiculous growth out of em....

slice

No, its not possible to remove the rock, I have to go in and pull them out.
These do not make a mat, each polyp is separated from each other.

slice

I should add that the stems on some of these polyps are up to 3" long and as big around as my middle finger. When I grab them by the stem, I will be squeezing out a good amount of water, I'm afraid.
Its these guys behind the monti. Since this pic, they have grown to the left even with the left edge of the monti and up towards the SPS just out of frame.

When I first put them in, they were waaay behind the monti, way too far away to interfere...or so I thought...

E

eric b 125

i think if you are gentle and quick enough you shouldnt have a problem. i've found the best way for me to remove mushroom polyps without taking the tank out is by using a set of hemostats; i would imagine they would pull a paly off a rock just as easily. i'd have a water change ready to go and some carbon, too, just in case.

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/389377/paly-removal-question#post_3441055
I should add that the stems on some of these polyps are up to 3" long and as big around as my middle finger. When I grab them by the stem, I will be squeezing out a good amount of water, I'm afraid.
Its these guys behind the monti. Since this pic, they have grown to the left even with the left edge of the monti and up towards the SPS just out of frame.

When I first put them in, they were waaay behind the monti, way too far away to interfere...or so I thought...
that's why just recently i got rid of all my mushroom polyps, zoas, gsp, etc. from my tank. they all started to encroach on my sps

slice

Thanks Eric, I will be doing a water change right after doing this.
This was the first of my 2 biggest coral placement errors. The other has caused a war between a stunner acro and a pokerstar monti (advantage: stunner).

slice

Thanks for the follow-up Eric.
I removed over half of the palys beginning closest to the monti, then working back. I took the gripper attachment off my tongs and used it like forceps. Those guys were attached to the rock more aggressively than I had imagined. Best of all, I did not injure the monti.
While I was in the tank, I also epoxied over a few patches of Gelidium algae (came in on a zoa frag). From either crap the palys put in the water, the rather large amount of epoxy or my arms being in the tank for a long time or a combination, my skimmer has been going bonkers.
I made a 5g water change Saturday during the maintenance then another 5g water change yesterday, one skimmer cup at a time.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/389377/paly-removal-question#post_3441543
Slice love your monti I thinks those are the coolest corals how they make a shelf for fish to hide under.
Thanks Mr. L!
Yep, fish hide under it. So do cleaner shrimp. emerald crabs, etc...
I need to post a newer picture of it, now that you can SEE all of it. It's grown a good bit since that last pic. Someday fairly soon, I will be faced with a decision...left to its own, it will shade most of the tank. Then again, I can share the love with monti frags...
I think I remember reading that to frag a monti, one can take a razor blade and cut into the edge at the endpoints of the desired break line and snap off the frag. Does that sound correct?

1guydude

ya that sounds right to me....ive heard of people just breaking it up...without even cutting into it.

florida joe

If you are carful you can try (I have used this method) aiptasia X to get rid of the unwanted ones BTW that is a plastic RC is it not? I mean no one can keep a real one alive

E

eric b 125

as far as my monti caps go, i have this orange one that grows faster than any other coral i have. i've never tried the razor method, because i end up breaking it accidentally when it gets too big. i shattered it all to $hi7 and back once and superglued the frags to a rock. a month later and it's the coolest looking colony i've had yet.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/389377/paly-removal-question#post_3441566
Yes, definitely post new picture, enjoy pictures.
Here it is as of 2 minutes ago. Look at that scrolling action going on at the left. I enjoy watching it to see what it is going to do next.

Another angle

I am amazed that this thing was so small back in March. This was 3 weeks after it's arrival and had already nearly doubled in size:

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/389377/paly-removal-question#post_3441568
If you are careful you can try (I have used this method) aiptasia X to get rid of the unwanted ones BTW that is a plastic RG is it not? I mean no one can keep a real one alive

I laughed and read this aloud to the wife. Unfortunately, Dottie overheard. I think you hurt her little feelings. Here she is flipping you the fin:

She has been the Diva of the tank since June 2, 2010.