Panther Grouper color

duke jjz

My panther grouper is almost always a brownish-blackish color. The only time he gets white is when i feed him (right before he strikes). Any ideas? Is he always scared?!

squidd

How big/old is your Grouper...?
When they are tiny 1"-3" they have a brilliant white color and dark contrasting spots..But as the grow their overall coloration fades and blends whith the white taking on more of a "dirty/dingy" look and the spots less distinct...
Being as they are one of the fastest growing fish I'v ever seen, the brilliant "juivanial" stage doesn't last more than a couple months...
Yes the coloration comes and goes during times of "excitement" (feeding) but never as "clean" as when you first brought him home...
Stress is not "neccessarily" a factor in his coloration, but can be concidering th size of this fish and his habitat needs...
What size is your Panther...How big a tank...??

duke jjz

Thanks for the reply.. My grouper looks exactly like yours in the pic... same coloration... i didnt know about the "dingy" color once they matured... Im not sure how old mine is, but he is about 5.5 inches long now. I have a 75 gal...

squidd

You know...these things get 18"-20" ...
Mine got to 10" in 8 months and has since slowed his growth a bit currently 11 1/2" at 1 year...
He's gonna take up quite a bit of room in a 75...(mines in a 210)

duke jjz

Yep... I am aware of that... Once he gets too big for the tank, i'll bring him back to the store and trade for him..
Thanks for the info!

ophiura

Have they already agreed to take it back? Many stores will not take Panther groupers or emperor snappers back once they are past their cute "sell them to unsuspecting customers" stage. Never assume you can trade it in. Hopefully they have already agreed. Otherwise I would strongly consider trying to trade it in while smaller :yes: