Panther

salty

I am thinking about gettintg a panther grouper. I was wonder if I could get some info on him. Such as what he eats, size when full grown, average price, and how hardy he is. Any information would be great. Thank you very much.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you have a rather large aquarium, I'd suggest you do not try to keep this fish. It can get to about a foot in the aquarium. Also, this fish eats live foods, so if you're squeamish about feeding your fish live prey, then don't get this fish...also, you'll have to be either raising his food yourself [and I don't mean brine shrimp] or running to the lfs quite often [feeder goldfish are common food in the aquarium for this fish]. All your fish in the tank will have to be larger size---meaning bigger than the grouper's mouth, otherwise, they will be potential prey for the fish.

kris

Beth is right, very few of the groupers will accept anything but live foods. They are very large and will seriously limit the other fish you can put in your tank. He is cool though, good luck.

fishgirl

I think this a great choice, as long as you have a large tank (over 60gal) Some good companions for him would be triggers, eels, lionfish, and all of these eat basically the same diet, making this easier. Good luck...I'm envious.

reed

I had one once I fed it live brime shrimp. they live a long time and grow pretty slow but they can get very big 20 inches. They cost about 30$. Good luck!!!

chrisd

my experenct with a panther grouper was a good one. It was one of the best fish i ever had.
as far a feeding mind ate everything, frozen, live , i one gave him chicken , and bologna , because i ran out of food.
Yes they are very aggressive, but beautiful fish. If your are worriesd about that get a sma; one at first , they grow pretty fast .GOOD LUCK