Para Guard on ich question.

zyrus

Question: Has anyone used Seachem’s Para Guard?
I have a clown with ich and it states that this formula would destroy my ich problem. I have been using it in my reef tank for about 5 days now, I don’t see any harm on my coral or fish, the invertebrates are fine too. Tank size 30 gallon, tank cycle life a year and 3 months. The clown with the issue is still swimming oddly but I don’t see the spots on her. I wish I could catch her to put her in another tank to give her free time to heal, since the male clown sees this as his chance to become the female, since the true female clown is weaken by illness, I think he will kill her if she doesn’t get stronger. She does look beat up thought. Second question: should I turn off all filters in order for this medication to work? I does not say on the bottle but I trust you guys may know a trick or two.

Here is the info on Para Guard™, is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. So lets hear what you all think. :thinking: Thank you.

jr1053

Most folks on this and other sites do not give much credence to claims by manufacturers on their ability to control Ich with anything other than copper based treatments or Hyposalinity carried out in a QT. Even hyposalinity is questioned by some due to the likelihood of "selecting out" the Ich parasites which can and do survive the very low salt condition and which are subsequently able to remultiply and cause a reinfection weeks or months later. Anyhow if you are going to continue on your present course removal of the carbon will likely be required to prevent it from removing the medication from the tank too quickly.
John

scubadoo

Originally Posted by jr1053
Most folks on this and other sites do not give much credence to claims by manufacturers on their ability to control Ich with anything other than copper based treatments or Hyposalinity carried out in a QT. Even hyposalinity is questioned by some due to the likelihood of "selecting out" the Ich parasites which can and do survive the very low salt condition and which are subsequently able to remultiply and cause a reinfection weeks or months later. Anyhow if you are going to continue on your present course removal of the carbon will likely be required to prevent it from removing the medication from the tank too quickly.
John
Amen and absolutley correct! Even the hypo analysis..DEAD ON THE TARGET>>>>>>>>>>>THANK YOU