Parrots and open tops

drose

Does anyone out there have parrots? I eventually want to add corals and so must upgrade to MH. Right now I have 2 flourescent light fixtures on the plastic top to my 44 gal corner tank. If MHs just hang above an open topped tank, how do you make it parrot-safe? :notsure:

merredeth

Originally Posted by DRose
Does anyone out there have parrots? I eventually want to add corals and so must upgrade to MH. Right now I have 2 flourescent light fixtures on the plastic top to my 44 gal corner tank. If MHs just hang above an open topped tank, how do you make it parrot-safe? :notsure:
Clip the wings of the parrot and tether him. :hilarious
Seriously though, how about using egg crate and cut to the shape of the tank and try attaching it, then see if the bird makes waves for the fish.
Just an idea....
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by KingSpade
wouldnt MH melt the eggcrate and not allow the full power of light in??
If there is enough space maybe not, if there isn't then most definitely. I don't know what kind of space issues that is there but was just throwing out an idea.
Personally, I'd go back to my first solution.... clip the bird's wing and tether. The problem is then solved and no danger of roasting the bird or the fish.
Denise M.

jumpfrog

We have birds and have never really considered them going for a swim. Of course a full canopy would eliminate the problem. Just have good ventilation and fans for the MH. Unless your fixture is really small compared the opening of your tank I don't think your bird would have enough room to land and then dive in. I actually think the noise and heat would be enough to keep the bird away anyway. Mine has never shown an interest in getting in the water. Interesting thought though.
Here's Cosmo

kingspade

my uncle had a crested cackatoo that wasnt afraid of heat, once it flew into the kitchen and lended right next to a lit candle and went up n flames. the bird lived and was looking as good as new in a month or so, funny but at the same time sad

merredeth

my uncle had a crested cackatoo that wasnt afraid of heat, once it flew into the kitchen and lended right next to a lit candle and went up n flames. the bird lived and was looking as good as new in a month or so, funny but at the same time sad
I had birds and bred them for many years but never had anything like that happen...
BTW, nice ride on your avitar - is it yours? Do any car shows here in Iowa?
Denise M.

kingspade

yep thats my other baby, just sold my 1970 Trans Am ram air III for 28,000 to a guy in boston. if you look to the left in the garage youll see part of my 1938 ford vintage race car that belonged to my grandfather in the 60's. after 2 yrs of tracking it down my dad and i restored it to the exact way it looked when grandpa raced it in the 60's.

merredeth

yep thats my other baby...
Sweet! :jumping:
Do you go to Cruise to the Woods with them? I can't wait to get warm weather and car show traveling again!
Between the Corvettes, fish and tanks, dogs, kids and the husband something had to go in my life... so it was the birds. That is why the clipping and tethering idea came to me.
My LFS has some nice birds. I'd love to get one gain but we all know what happens when you say just one fish tank... you wind up with multiples and you upgrade small ones to bigger ones. That's why I'm afraid to even ask my husband if I can just get another African Grey or Macaw because I miss having birds. I won't have just one any more than we have one of anything we truly love... cars, kids, dogs, and multiple tanks.
Denise M.
<---depserately needing an expresso refill before the snowstorm hits.

alyssia

Originally Posted by jumpfrog
We have birds and have never really considered them going for a swim. Of course a full canopy would eliminate the problem. Just have good ventilation and fans for the MH. Unless your fixture is really small compared the opening of your tank I don't think your bird would have enough room to land and then dive in. I actually think the noise and heat would be enough to keep the bird away anyway. Mine has never shown an interest in getting in the water. Interesting thought though.
Here's Cosmo

jumpfrog, what kind of bird is that?