PC lighting

sucram

I'm at about the point when I need to replace my PC bulbs. I'm currently running 2 Ultra Actinic's and 2 6100K Daylight's. If I want my tank to look slightly more blue, should I replace them with 2 Ultra Actinic's, 1 50/50, and 1 10,000K Daylight? If my calculations are correct, currently I have 12,200K Daylight. What would adding the 50/50 to the 10,000K add to the white light (I would guess about 3,000K)? Would the extra blue in the 50/50 more than cancel that extra white light out, to make the tank appear more blue?
Does anybody run the configuration I'm talking about. These bulbs are so expensive, I'd rather not experiment without getting some advise from those who know what they're doing.
Thanks.

robinfly

I don't think that 6100k + 6100k = 12200k temperature lighting. The intensity / wattage is doubled, but the temperature remains the same at 6100k. I have the exact same lighting setup that you do, and I've been irritated with the yellowish tint that I'm getting as well. Is it just me, or do the PC ultra-actinics seem to dim quicker than the daylight bulbs do?
Anyhow, I'm planning on switching one of my 6100k's to 10000k next time I buy lights. Do keep at least one 6100k installed because, as you may know, there is less usable light output from the higher K bulbs.

sucram

Upon further study, you're right RobinFly, you can't just add those numbers. I guess 5500K is tropical noon color (slightly blue-white, above water). Anything higher is bluer and lower is redder light. A 10000K bulb is moderately more blue than the 6100K bulbs, so I'm going to run 2 actinics, 1 6100K, and 1 10000K, like you said.
I have noticed that the ultra-actinics loose their intensity fast. I've only had my bulbs in for just over a year, but I think I'll replace them now anyways. I figure the longer I wait, the weaker the bulbs will get, and the more of a shock it will be to the system when I replace them.