pc vs. vho lighting

sencinias

I currently have a 75 gal tank with PowerCompact 50/50 65watt bulbs. I'm not happy with the colors that it's showing on the tank. I was thinking of upgrading to VHO, is that going to up my electric a lot? Is it a lot more expensive? I can't afford the Metal Halide but would like to go VHO. My LFS said I should try to get two new bulbs (one all actinic, one 10K all day light). I thought I try it, well that doesn't really make sense to me, the bulbs are about 24" each so I have all blue on one side and all white on the other, my tank looks a little funny and everyone is split int the tank. Does anyone use PC that they've been happy with or any suggestions on how to get the lighting better without upgrading? Thanks again!
By the way, like the new board!

I just sold the last of my PC's. I had them for about 6 mo. and just was never that impressed with them. As usual, I wish I had spent the extra money in the first place and got the VHO system I'm now getting.
I think PC's are fine for supplemental lighting, IMHO. But I don't like them alone, and additionally, if you want certain animals you will need MH or VHO.
My humble .02
HTH
Hermit

sencinias

Hey Ranger I thought you were back to being a Shark! Thanks for the help all. I'm going to try and get new lighting this week. Have a good one.

jacrmill

i had the same question, looks like i dont have to post it. i was trying to make a decision between a VHO retrofit or a PC retrfit for my eclipse. looks like ive made it. VHO for me. thanx a bunch, even though it wasnt for me.

jond

I too have been researching lighting and have decided on VHO over PC's. This has helped me to finalize my decision.

C

coralbeauty

I worked on this decision for two months. Thanks to the advice of a lot of people and a few emails from Hermit up North (welcome back!) I went with VHO. The color is awesome! I had 6 NO tubes previously. I have not noticed a change in my electric bill. However, the articles I have read clearly state that you will pay more for that color of VHO. PC should be less expensive on the electric bill.
Good luck,
Connie

Has anyone seen pc mh together? I run two atinacs in the center of tank, two daylight on the outside of them and 400 watt mh 12000k in the front of our tank. I think it looks awsome, and what really looks good is to shut off the daylight bulbs and run the two atinacs and the mh, It gives a dark cave entrance looks really neat....fixit :)

adrian

I had a couple of 55 watt pcs a while back. At first I was really pleased with the intensity, but then I noticed the color and then a few months later all my LPS had begun to bleach. They also ran quite hot and the bulbs are more expensive than VHO. They do seem very well suited for most softies, but I would suggest VHO+MH for LPS and SPS. HTH

tonka

Up North Hermit,
You never did answer my question. So my acropora and clams won't live in pc lighting? I've had the acro for 1year and the clam for 6 months. My theory is any tank under 100g will do fine with the right pc lighting. Then again LB Aquarium has PC lighting for the holding tanks that have worked for over 2 years. I'm not saying that MH is not better,but I think it's overkill on tanks lower than 100g. And some think VHO is cosmetically better. But I can't tell. I rarely see VHO's for sale anymore around here.