PC's flickering

fish fry

When my PC's came on today the bulb was flickering. It was also much dimmer than usual. The bulb itself seems fine since it works on the other side. I also thought I smelled a very slight burning smell.
Any ideas of what could be causing it? How long do the fixtures last? Are they fixable.
Thanks
Tom

Yopur ballast may be going out but that should affect all the lights. Try taking the bulb out, clean the contacts and put it back in. Sorry I can't help much more than that.

nosmada

i would agree. its either your ballast going bad or your bulb going bad. if you have access to another bulb i would try that first. or if you have access to another light unit try pluggin your bulb into it. pretty much process of elimination here.
hth,
chris

fish fry

The bulb works in the other ballast so I am going to assume it is the ballast that is bad. Does anyone know what causes this? Are the ballast easy to replace? What about costs?
Thanks

nosmada

how old is your PC? balasts usually last quite a while. id call the manufacturer and see what they have to say. they may replace it for you. its worth a try
chris

fish fry

The lights are three years old with only 2 years of use. I knew these hobby is expensive but changing lights after only two years? I'll keep you updated with what the manufacturer says.
Tom

merman

I'm going through the same ordeal w/ my JBJ PC's. One of the bulbs come on for about 10 minutes then off for a few hours and on again. JBJ says I can send them the fixture and they will fix it for $50. Hmm, in the meantime though, what about light for my reef? So, I guess I have to buy a new fixture anyways. Anyone know of a good Brand/Model/Prices? Any info would be much appreciated. Those MH/PC combos look sweet. But, I can't really drop $500 right now. Thanks!

We started are reef with 4 96 watt pcs 2 daylight and 2 attinnics. then added the MH. Ok for the pcs in the last 9 months have had to replace both ballists and all the lights, one switch, all was replaced under warranty. when the first new ballists arrived all wireing was different, had to call company and guy that I could barely understand told me how to do it. Hooked it up just like the guy said and blew both bulbs. Damn talk about being mad, called them back and they sent me new bulbs for free. Ok I dont want to talk to anymore of there people so luckily one of my wifes clients is a electrician, he did it for free. second one was easy to do but I dont know I think next setup will be done with MH and VHO. the pcs look great when they work but I have had too much problem with the pcs. Just my experience with them.....fixit. :(