PC's vs VHO

q

I am looking into buying power compacts or VHO. I would like opinions from people who have had both. I do plan on having corals and I know I'll have people screaming MH or DIE but I don't care. I am fairley sure it can be done in a 75 gal tank so I am going to try it. :D Mainly I am wondering if the PC lights are really better or just hype.

paulytee

Plato- Im going with PC's. I live in Cali., on a budget and I'm really worried about the blackouts/energy crisis. Of course I would like metal hallides(&VHO's) but a buddy of mine is running them and his bill went up approx. 20 dollars since he instaled them!! And, of course, he has to deal w/ heat and blackouts.
Also, the boards are fighting about whats better..... And my good friend runs a fish store and has 2-3 reef tanks using MH/VHO and PC's.
In my opinion, I didn't notice much difference between the the tanks-all looked very good... So I'm going w/ PC'S, although the hanging bell shaped MH's look very nice! :p
;)
Good luck and read,research and read more!!!
Paulytee ( paulytee@yahoo.com )
keep me posted and I would like to know what you have in you reef.. if you have time of course! :D

nm reef

I use CSL pc....2x65 watt smartlite...2x65 watt britelite(10000k)....on a 55 gal with 75+ lbs lr..75 lb ls..candy cane coral..frogspawn..closed brain..star polyps..assorted mushrooms..and a large assortment of button polyps..all are doing gr8...
but I've got no experience with vho....can't help ya there

angelspot

Hi, I have JBJ's PC 2/atinics 65 watts and 2 10,000K 65 watts on a 75gallon reef and I am keeping hard,soft corals and clams. What's nice is PC's are not expensive and they run alot cooler. The JBJ's have fans and an sleve that helps keep the heat from going into tank. I live in Florida and my air stays on at 80F and I have fans in all rooms and my tank stays between 77-79. ;)

rabid frog

I just recently bought a 48" smart light pc,( i just found out what pc ment ) and I too and wondering if it will be sufficient in a 55 reef, that I am trying to set up, it came with the half blue atanic and the half 10000k flo. anyone else have a good experience with this light or did I just waste 200 bucks??

C

coralbeauty

I have VHO on my 55 gallon reef and PC on my 37 gallon reef. The PC is fine, however, the color that the VHO gives is awesome! It gives everything that "black light" look. I live in Oregon and I completrely understand the energy thing, I got it too. IMHO,for the money VHO is much better!
Connie

I'm happy to hear you are lovin' your new lights Connie! :D
I too had PC's. Sold them all and went with VHO. No comparision.
Ditto everything coralbeauty stated.
My .02
Hermit

adrian

Another vote for VHO, PCs are bright, but you just cant beat the color, efficiency, and price of VHO. Get your self an ice cap ballast that you can start off with two bulbs and step up to 3 or 4, or just start with 4 :) HTH

adrian

Another vote for VHO, PCs are bright, but you just cant beat the color, efficiency, and price of VHO. Get your self an ice cap ballast that you can start off with two bulbs and step up to 3 or 4, or just start with 4 :) HTH

FWIW
The new IceCap electronic ballasts are far more efficient than the old tar ballasts. They run cooler therefor extending the life of the bulbs to 12-18 months. The old ballasts ran hot and bulbs needed to be changed every 6-8 months.
PC bulbs cost more to replace than the most expensive VHO bulbs. And as far as operational costs, its a wash. Both are powered by efficient electronic ballasts.
I play it safe and just change annually. I have yet to feel my ballast emit any heat. They have come a long way baby! :D
HTH
Hermit

q

Connei, I sometimes make it into the tigard area. Are there any lfs worth going to and if so what are their names.
Those who say that VHO has better color I was wondering what type of bulbs you used in your PC's and now in your VHO set up's. I was looking at the variety of PC bulbs and just wonder if there is any new advancements in the color aspects of the PC bulbs that could rival the VHO.

burnnspy

I have a 175watt 12000K MH bulb in my 29gal reef it cost less than a smart light, puts out more intensity and looks better than VHO and PC.
BurnNSpy

tonka

BurnNSpy,
Do you have a chiller? How do you keep the heat down? I have JBJ 65x2. I have clams,Acropora,other SPS,and lots of soft coral. I change the bulbs yearly at a cost of $30 a bulb. How much is MH or VHO bulbs??? PC lighting IS cheaper. My whole lighting fixture was only $130. (that was also about 3 years ago). I think the best way for you to find out is to do what Paulytee did, look at both...

bennytheblenny

I have a 20 gallon tank with PC lighting and a 110 gallon tank with VHOs. I am very pleased with both. I would concern myself with watts per gallon because each provides basically the same variety of spectrum setups.

jond

I don't have any experience with pc's, but I recently went with VHO on an Icecap ballest and they are awesome. I have 225W over a 37gal. tank and the water shimmers. The ballest and bulbs run very cool and I don't run a fan. I have not done it yet, but it is also cool that you can run a dimmer on the new icecap ballests.
:cool:

sencinias

I had the SmartLite 75 gal with 50/50 bulbs that it came with on my 75 gal tank and the color just doesn't match the new VHO lighting I have now. I had someone lend me another hood when I had the PC lighting up and running and I added 1 actinic and 1 10,000 daylight but it's still no comparison. The cost difference wasn't that much either. The color that VHO brings out in my green mushroom and branching daisy is amazing. I'd do a lot of research before you buy anything, it's definitely worth it. Good luck.

burnnspy

Originally posted by Tonka:
<STRONG>BurnNSpy,
Do you have a chiller? How do you keep the heat down? I have JBJ 65x2. I have clams,Acropora,other SPS,and lots of soft coral. I change the bulbs yearly at a cost of $30 a bulb. How much is MH or VHO bulbs??? PC lighting IS cheaper. My whole lighting fixture was only $130. (that was also about 3 years ago). I think the best way for you to find out is to do what Paulytee did, look at both...</STRONG>
I read Rabid Frogs post and he spent $200 on a 48" PC light more then I paid for my MH DIY pendant.
I was just thinking that PC's though usually less expensive, when you compare the difference in light and visual quality; a few bucks here and there mean very little.
I thought VHO was da bomb too, until I saw the dramatic visual difference of glitter lines and shadows that only MH point lighting will give to a reef tank.
I do not run a chiller and only need a small fan during the hotter summer months. I dont have AC either because New Englanders are too ignorant to have central AC like most of 21st century America.
Tonka, how long have you had the Acroporas and what color are they? Because without enough light intensity(PC's and VHO) alot of them will turn brown.
BurnNSpy

q

All the replies have been great. I do have to conceed that the MH bulbs should provide the best color. I was looking at graphs of light wave bands and the 10K MH bulb kicked everythigs butt by a long shot. I don't know why but for some reason the VHO must show better color (experience deosn't lie) even though the bulb specs for VHO and PC are comperable.
BurnNspy I saw your tank powered by 1 MH and I was wondering if I sould just go with 2 MH bulbs on a 75 gal that is 48 inches long and 20 deep. ;)

paulytee

This lighting discussion is driving me crazy!! It's difficult to decide on a set-up. I have plenty of ideas from the posts, the books I read, and every other avenue of information you can think of!!
Unfortunatly SWF doesn't sell lighting and Im not doing to well on finding competitive prices/deals.
Here is my email: paulytee@hotmail.com if anyone has come across any informative lighting sites. I would really appreciate it.
Thanx everyone!
ps- its 97degrees now and we're scheduled for blackouts... Thank god for the emergency generator....
Hiya Tonka! Howz the heat treating you? At least Im getting a good tan... ;)
[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Paulytee ]

tnreef

Plato,
IMO you could go with 2 x 250W Mh over a 75 Many will say that 175W is good enough but I belive more is better. You can always shield some of your corals (IE Mushrooms) that do not like as much light. You will be able to keep most any coral/anenome.
I have always pushed PC over VHO on a small tank due to the higher output for the corals. Not because I do not agree on the color issue just because If we are going to put coral in a tank we must stress their needs not our own. The wonderful color of VHO is for our benifit not the coral's.
That being said you can not duplicate the beauty of MH with anything....
IMO Darryl