PEACOCK MANTIS hitchiker in my REEF!!!

sinaloa213

when and if you catch him can i take himoff your hands i just cycled a 20 gal it has mantis written all over it.........plz

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
geez you guys make mantis seem like the baddest thing in the ocean. there are several aggressive fish that will bite these things in half if given the chance. Puffers, Triggers, many large wrasse. Of course they can kick a hermit, snail or chromis butt, what cant. Dare I say most of your fish arent in danger unless you have small fish. I would be pissed about the cleaner shrimps (it could eat all the peppermint, snails and crabs it wanted).
Do you even know anything about mantis?
Tell me how harmless this mantis is vs one of the most poisonious creatures in the ocean
Mantis VS Blue Ringed Octopus

yupi1982

Originally Posted by sw65galma
Tell me how harmless this mantis is vs one of the most poisonious creatures in the ocean

:scared: :scared: DUDE awesome video !!!!!!
did you see the size of that mantis....it was HUGEEEEE

that should be one of the nicest pets....i would say even better than an octopus , a lionfish , or s stingray !!!
Thanks for sharing SW65GALMA !!!

sw65galma

Originally Posted by yupi1982
:scared: :scared: DUDE awesome video !!!!!!
did you see the size of that mantis....it was HUGEEEEE

that should be one of the nicest pets....i would say even better than an octopus , a lionfish , or s stingray !!!
Thanks for sharing SW65GALMA !!!

No problem yupi..I just didn't want you to think like the other guy said they were "nothing"
Although I know your smarter than that .
They are awsome and smart as heck too...great pets IMHO.
But MUST BE RESPECTED! at any size.

fishy7

are u hijacking my thread.....hahaha just kidding

same thing happend to me there are not to many hermit crabs left...

It really appears that way. Very sorry, .
Guess, I feel your pain.... This darn mantis is a pain in the butt.

The upside, this is good schooling for the next mantis
Stan: Mantis shrimp are horrible in a large system but great in a small setting. I looked at puffers and triggers but will have a heck of time getting them out once introduced into the system. Now that there are not many crabs left so I am starting to consider it a little more. A main rule, I do not add fish to my tank unless I intend to never take them out. To much of a pain in the butt to get them out, not to mention the stress to the other inhabitants.
When I bought my LR, it came from a tank that was 8 years old. I never even knew about the mantis. Your system of introducing new LR is great. I will keep that in mind if I have to add.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by FISHY7
It really appears that way. Very sorry, .
Guess, I feel your pain.... This darn mantis is a pain in the butt.

The upside, this is good schooling for the next mantis
Stan: Mantis shrimp are horrible in a large system but great in a small setting. I looked at puffers and triggers but will have a heck of time getting them out once introduced into the system. Now that there are not many crabs left so I am starting to consider it a little more. A main rule, I do not add fish to my tank unless I intend to never take them out. To much of a pain in the butt to get them out, not to mention the stress to the other inhabitants.
Don't forget the fact that manits have been known to kill triggers and puffers...It's just a matter of who gets the jump first.

fishy7

Don't forget the fact that manits have been known to kill triggers and puffers...It's just a matter of who gets the jump first.
Yet, another good piece of information.

yupi1982

wow...you got to be kidding me !! :scared: :scared:
a trigger in danger holly sh........tttttttt

with the size of that mantis i think even a whole human finger is in danger
thanks god mine is very small ....the one i have definetly is not as colorful as the real peacock mantis ..mine is red and small but you can hear the damn noise troughout the whole house !!! :notsure:

fishy7

wow...you got to be kidding me !! :scared: :scared:
a trigger in danger holly sh........tttttttt

with the size of that mantis i think even a whole human finger is in danger
thanks god mine is very small ....the one i have definetly is not as colorful as the real peacock mantis ..mine is red and small but you can hear the damn noise troughout the whole house !!! :notsure:
Yupi, I can hear that clicking sound all the time. Just acts as a constant reminder.

Do not worry Yupi, our day will come.....and when it does....

ohhh you started a great thread.

stanlalee

did I say harmless?
Mantis are prey as well as predator. they dont hide in caves and rocks because they rule the ocean. Do you know it ALL about mantis. A mantis does have an amazingly powerful weapon but last I checked its only in one small area in front of the mantis head. MANY fish if given the opportunity or catching one out of hiding will have mantis for dinner! Fact is you and most people are overglorifying their position in the food chain. Put a hungry trigger and a mantis in a tank and most of the time the mantis will lose. Mantis is unlikely to go after a large target but cant say the same for trigger and such teethy crustascean eaters if it see's a mantis roaming outside its den. Mantis cant club or

[hr]
from the rear as its running back to its cave which is a likely scenario.
PS: whats so impressive about a mantis whipping up an octo half its size? How does being poisonous make it any more impressive? does the poison make it move faster and enhance its reflexes?
I'm STILL waiting for ONE video of a mantis killing something large or impressive
. And lets be real where are all or any of these cases of mantis killing triggers and puffers (not baby ones, grown fish vs grown mantis)? I havent seen anybody report such happenings not that the mantis cant get lucky sometimes.
Originally Posted by AW2x3

They get big and aggressive and do not do well with tank mates. I've tried to keep them with various fish...everything from Damsels to tiny Triggers...doesnt work.
I had a 1.5" Humu Trigger kill a 6" Peacock one time...couldnt believe it.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
did I say harmless?
Mantis are prey as well as predator. Put a hungry trigger and a mantis in a tank and most of the time the mantis will lose. Mantis is unlikely to go after a large target but cant say the same for trigger and such teethy crustascean eaters if it see's a mantis roaming outside its den. Mantis cant club or

[hr]
from the rear as its running back to its cave which is a likely scenario.
PS: whats so impressive about a mantis whipping up an octo half its size? How does being poisonous make it any more impressive? does the poison make it move faster and enhance its reflexes?.
I think i agree on this one with STANLEE ...yeahh it is a nice pet but i dont really believe that they could catch a trigger....I mean the octopus in the video is clearly half the size of that mantis...but put A blue ring the same size.....!!!!!.is just not gonna happen ....
the chances of that mantis will be way to small to survive with an octopus of the same size !!!
just my opinion
Nice video thought ...
THIS THREAD TOURNED OUT TO BE QUITE IMPRESSIVE !!!
:cheer:

xdave

I saw a video (discover channel i think) a huge clown trigger was trying to grab a mantis. It missed on the first pass and the mantis landed facing away from the trigger. When the trigger aproached to look at him, The mantis swam through the triggers head. Ya really have to get them on the first try I guess.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by xDave
I saw a video (discover channel i think) a huge clown trigger was trying to grab a mantis. It missed on the first pass and the mantis landed facing away from the trigger. When the trigger aproached to look at him, The mantis swam through the triggers head.
Ya really have to get them on the first try I guess.

hey XDAVE & STANLEE have a question for you two guys !!
I want to buy A PFO PULSE START 400 W MH Ballast but I dont know if they will run an XM 10k :help: i know they drive Radium bulbs but dont know if is gonna toste my XM bulb ????
any thoughts guys :thinking:
Alejandro

reef diver

The peacock mantis is a smasher type mantis. They use a large "heel" on their forefront legs to smash open a shell of a snail/hermit, etc. This mantis will not kill fish, however when very large, such as your specimen, the peacock will smash the side of the glass in an escape attmpt. Smaller types of smashers, such as N. Wennare pictured above, cannever, and will never be able to smash through the glass however they can be very destructive to an invertebrate population. The spearer type of mantis, is the type that kill fish, and are mainly the kind that while looking in tide pools, one should be wary of. The spearer type have a barbed "

[hr]
" attached to their forefront leg, which they use to

[hr]
fish (or your hand) Personally, my christmas (or in my case Hannukah) wishlist ofr this year includes supplies for a 10 gallon refugium/mantis tank. I plan to house a N. Wennare. They are not destructive to corals, or "pods"

xdave

hey XDAVE & STANLEE have a question for you two guys !!
I want to buy A PFO PULSE START 400 W MH Ballast but I dont know if they will run an XM 10k :help: i know they drive Radium bulbs but dont know if is gonna toste my XM bulb ????
any thoughts guys :thinking:
Alejandro
dont know why you're asking me this, but xm 10k's can be run on ps ballasts, as far as I know. Was that supposed to be some kind of trick question?

yupi1982

dont know why you're asking me this, but xm 10k's can be run on ps ballasts, as far as I know. Was that supposed to be some kind of trick question?
hahaha
not a trick question not at all I just thought you may nknow this ...that's it !!!

thanks man

stanlalee

dont know why you're asking me Was that supposed to be some kind of trick question?
What I was thinking. arent XM just another brand of SE bulbs

S

sbv

I keep hearing a "pecking" on my glass in my 120 in the past couple weeks. Sounds like someone is tapping on the outside of the glass with a quarter. Could I have one of these beasts? Someone tell me what these creatures sound like. I have had no new rock in over a year....

xdave

They sound like this: Our father, who art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come... oh wait , sorry, thats a praying mantis

renogaw

man, that video freaked me out. how much was that octopus? i really hope you get your's out soon, and i hope i never run into one again (i found a baby mantis and got rid of it)